Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1561 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Other Programming Languages :

What to learn next?

Thread title: What to learn next?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Yes they are. Haven't you tried PHP on the CLR for example? Can access any other class in the framework. ASP's VBScript is a programming language. Javascript is a fullfledged programming language as well. http://www.aptana.com/jaxer (one example of it)
To run them as stand alone apps, they must either go though a different interpreter than usual or be emulated. So technically they would be completely different subjects since they are not being ran though the same parser. Regardless, I am not referring to them in that context, I am referring to them as they are normally used.

MySQL isn't. It's an application. Is Visual Studio a programming language? Or PostgreSQL? Recursion panic! I said SQL was a data manipulation language. SQL in a database is also a data specification language and then with stored procedures and flow control constructs it becomes a programming language, as you say.
But the language (t-SQL) that you query it in is commonly referred to as the application's name (MySQL). Its a case of common references. When I say I program MySQL, I am not referring the the application itself, rather the querying language it uses. You just did the same with "I said SQL was a data manipulation language".

An operating system is a program, just one that works directly with the machine.