Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 733 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Book keeping?

Thread title: Book keeping?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
10-14-2010, 11:46 AM
williamRoach is offline williamRoach
Software:

williamRoach is on a distinguished road

Old

I used to use Excel to keep totals (as a summary) and then Word to do the actual invoicing - man that was long winded!

I then discovered FreshBooks, but after about 5 months of use found it hard to justify the cost of keeping it going. So I am now using http://www.billfor.it as I was invited to their beta site. The invoicing and quotation side of things is really good and easy to use. The invoices can be fully customised too - although the HTML editor is a little hard to get to grips with

Apparently the site is launching on 1st Nov - I've been using for about 2 months in beta and pretty confident in it as have had no issues. To be honest - anything is better than Excel and Word for doing the invoicing!

10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
PaulSmith1 is offline PaulSmith1
Expertise: SEO
Software: Firefox

PaulSmith1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Maintaining in excel sheet is very easy now you can do it online with google document as well.

01-22-2011, 04:00 AM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

If finances for your business are pretty straight forward, you might consider using Quicken. It functions much like a checkbook, but you can set it up to track various categories of expenses or even individual projects. One nice thing about it is that you can download your bank account data right into it. It doesn't have to be fancy to be effective.

01-22-2011, 04:19 AM
DDS is offline DDS
Expertise: HTML/CSS
Software: Dreamweaver

DDS is on a distinguished road

Old

I use open office's database program, works great for me, also I keep every thing on paper. Basically I print out all my invoices and expenses.

01-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Seeing this thread again I'd like to update my advice. I've started using Quickbooks Online and absolutely love it. It makes everything really easy, I can track everything and view reports to see where I am at. I'm never going back to excel.

01-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Old

There is quite a bit of front end set up if you plan to use Excel. You have to create all kinds of formulas to tell it what you want it to do. The Quicken and Quickbooks applicatons eliminate all that for you. Just learn to navigate the program and add your financial data.

01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Stray Freelance is offline Stray Freelance
Expertise: Flash, animation, general art.
Software: Photoshop, flash.. too many!

Stray Freelance is on a distinguished road

Old

I suggest both paper and digital.

Doing the paper work forces you to take a break from the computer, which we all tend to spend too much time around. Also it keeps you fully up-to-date on what is going on.

Some digital methods have you fill in fields once, then just put quick shots of info in them. You start to over look things, and start to lose full connection to whats what in your dealings.

Always keep a back up of your digital books on a source off of your computer in case anything happens to the computer. And always keep the paper work, in case you ever have to reference.

Again, doing the paper work allows you to take a break, and focus your mind on something other than your current project. Which is always good for your overall health.

Thanked by 2 users:
Artashes (01-28-2011), DDS (01-26-2011)
01-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Old

Those are good suggestions. I also firmly believe that first setting up a user-friendly paper system gives you the best feel for how the financial pieces flow and fit together. After that, if you think you can benefit from a software, you're in a position to put it to more intelligent use.

01-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Stray Freelance is offline Stray Freelance
Expertise: Flash, animation, general art.
Software: Photoshop, flash.. too many!

Stray Freelance is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
There is quite a bit of front end set up if you plan to use Excel. You have to create all kinds of formulas to tell it what you want it to do. The Quicken and Quickbooks applicatons eliminate all that for you. Just learn to navigate the program and add your financial data.
When it comes to the program, it is personal taste, and what ever fits your knowledge. Some are beginner friendly, others have massive amounts of depth that may confuse the common, uneducated (in accounting not in general) person.

Every accounting program out there has a trial period demo, try them all until you find one you like, and can use.

01-28-2011, 04:42 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >