Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1327 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

Up Your Browsing Speed!

Thread title: Up Your Browsing Speed!
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
05-07-2005, 09:20 PM
sixmode is offline sixmode
Software:

sixmode is on a distinguished road

Old

So does this actually work or is it just another proxy to make you think it's faster?

05-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Adam is offline Adam
Software:

Adam is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by sixmode
So does this actually work or is it just another proxy to make you think it's faster?
to me this

* Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
* Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
screems a proxy cache.

05-08-2005, 01:09 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

So does this actually work or is it just another proxy to make you think it's faster
I'm confuesed, it's either faster or not right? How can you think it's faster?

05-08-2005, 01:24 AM
stenson is offline stenson
Expertise:
Software:

stenson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to stenson Send a message via MSN to stenson

Old

It seemed much slower for me.

05-08-2005, 01:37 AM
farcannell is offline farcannell
Expertise:
Software:

farcannell is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to farcannell

Old

well mine has bin jammed on 4.9 seconds saved since 5 minutes after i got it

05-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Aphex is offline Aphex
Expertise:
Software:

Aphex is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Aphex Send a message via MSN to Aphex

Old

Google says its made specifically for Cable. I can see that prefetching can be a problem with 56k, if its trying to load fifty pages before it loads the one you are wanting to look at.

I'm not sure, it seems a bit faster - into the miliseconds, really mildly noticable.

05-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Birdo is offline Birdo
Software:

Birdo is on a distinguished road

Old

Definately not noticable. I guess it can save us time in the long run, but i don't think its really worth it do download it and install it and close your browser then start piling up the half seconds of saved time by not actually loading the page. ( yes i did all this andn it doesn't really change anything )

05-12-2005, 04:26 PM
plattopus is offline plattopus
Expertise:
Software:

plattopus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to plattopus

Old

Everyone makes mistakes, even Google. Mistakes are what beta programs are for. One mistake in the beta release of Google Web Accelerator (GWA) last week is proving to be a valuable reminder for Web developers.

Among other things, Google Web Accelerator speeds up your browsing experience by scouring pages you visit for links and quietly preloading them in the background in case you decide to click one of them. Can you spot the problem?

A misguided design trend of avoiding buttons in favour of hyperlinks in Web applications is the problem. Web applications increasingly include links that delete records, confirm actions, and take all manner of sensitive and potentially irreversible actions. And here comes GWA, ready to click them all for you automatically!

So whose fault is this? If you believe 37signals, whose just-launched Backpack application fell prey to link-happy GWA last week, it's Google's fault for not anticipating the side-effects of its link prefetching. If you believe Google, it's developers' fault for not complying with Web standards.

According to the W3C, hyperlinks and forms that use the HTTP GET method of submission should only be requests for content or information (such as a search). Actions--and especially actions for which the user will be held accountable--should always be performed using HTTP POST requests, which in most cases means clicking a submit button, not a hyperlink.

Developers who use ASP.NET, for example, need to think twice before using the deceptively simple LinkButton control, which simulates a form button using a hyperlink. Who knew the innocent hyperlink could cause so much trouble?

The trend away from buttons and towards hyperlinks in Web design is therefore a dangerous one. Before using a hyperlink, designers should ask themselves: what if this link gets clicked automatically?

Interestingly, some of the conversations that have sprung out of the GWA prefetching mess have started to look at Web application security issues like cross-site scripting (XSS) with fresh eyes. Read on for the low-down on these issues.
- From the SitePoint newsletter.

I uninstalled the Accelerator a few days after I downloaded it. I found that it gave me a hell of a lot more "server errors" than before I started using it, and it really wasn't a noticeable benefit. The above newsletter story also played a part in my decision.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2