Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1664 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

How to Find a Freelancer

Thread title: How to Find a Freelancer
Closed Thread    
02-15-2007, 05:08 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old  How to Find a Freelancer

These are the basics for a client to find a programmer. Use this guide and you will have an easier time finding a programmer, and working with him.

1. The type of freelancer
Freelancers are workers like anyone else, some are teens trying to make money, some are adults making money on the side (such as me), others are full time freelancers. Regardless of their age or time spent in doing it, the only thing you should look at is their portfolio and reviews as that is the relevant info. Who cares if they are adults? As long as they are skilled and professional it shouldn't matter (if it is contract less work of course). Some of the best design work I have gotten is from teens.

2. Costs
Freelancing doesn't make near the money a “real” job will make you, but don't label freelancers off at people who work for minimum wage. We have needs for our money, but that inst the principle of the matter, web design costs money. You will get what you pay for, expensive programmers will give you a better job for your price. Quality sites cost quality money, thats a fact of life.
2.1 Free Work
It doesn't matter how good the idea is, it doesn't matter how good it would look in his portfolio or if you think you are the first one to come up with that idea. NEVER ask for free work, not to sound like a jerk, we don't care about the site that much. If it looks so good in his portfolio, he would have done it for him, and it would look just as good in their if he got paid. In short, don't ask for free work, you wont get it.

3. Time
Freelancers have lives, they go out and do things just like you do. The stereotype of web geek is a complete stereotype, not true at all. If your programmer cant get to you for a little while it is acceptable.

4. Revisions
This is the biggest issue I have with clients, no matter how small it may seem, a revision will make the programmer spend more time on something, thus it cant be free. It is not greedy to charge for revisions, as it is an addition to his labors and hours spent on it. I make it clear to all my clients that revisions will not be free, so get what you want before you hire me.

5. Respect
Freelancers are people, we make mistakes. The best way to resolve this is to calmly say what you need done, not to go on the offensive as if they meant to. I wont normally go with a client who appears to be rude because they will be too hard to deal with down the road. Being calm and professional is always the best way to do it.

6. Payment
Make your payment as prompt has his service has been, if he has kept you updates on every step, don't take a week to pay him.

7. Details
The best way to save money and time on both ends is to make it crystal clear what you need. Some clients think they are idiots when I am done with them because I spend 15 minutes asking them questions. This is as far from the truth as can be though, I need to know exactly what you need before I can accurately quote you.

8. The Search
When you make a thread on a forum to find a programmer, be as professional as you can be, absolutely no leet speak or txt talk. This says you are young, aren't serious and probably don't have much money. This goes for IM programs also, the majority of my contact (they always know my e-mail) is via MSN messenger. Why? Because its fast and easy, e-mail is harder. This in no way merits bad talk, I occasionally catch myself with cya, but thats about it.

Happy searching!

Copyright Notice:
Feel free to post this anywhere so long as there is the below line.
Written by Village Idiot of TalkFreelance .

02-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

Great article there illage vidiot short to the point and true. I think everyone can take a useful piece of information away from this article.

02-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Mr.tyro is offline Mr.tyro
Expertise:
Software:

Mr.tyro is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Mr.tyro

Old

Thank you, you made alot of peoples lives esiear. I am tirred of people witch dont get to the point of what they want they dislike the end result

02-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

Didn't do anything more than scan your post, but this caught my eye:

"Freelancing doesn't make near the money a “real” job will make you..."

That's a rather faulty assumption.

Closed Thread