Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1450 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Possible Setup

Thread title: Possible Setup
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old  Possible Setup

I suck at planning my next builds. I was going to purchase a Mac, but then I'd need to buy new Adobe software and it just started to add up way to quickly. So I'm going to stick with good old windows, and I think I've picked out a system for a darn good price that should out perform most Macs that cost around the same and maybe more than this setup (along with systems from Dell, Gateway, Alienware, etc). I was looking for some opinions because honestly I haven't kept up with the swift moving tech scene.
Price: $1,284.94

I already have CD drives, OS, mouse, keyboard, monitor (Gateway 19" Widescreen), speakers, and UPS backup. Am I missing anything?

The main reason I like this system is that I can easily add another 8800GTS for SLI, or add more ram. I'm worried about the processor though, with the fact that it may cause a bottleneck. However I've read that it performs better than the FX-62 yet it costs almost $100 less!

I would greatly appreciate some comments, this is a huge investment for me.

05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

This setup will work well. I would however suggest at least another gig of ram and a larger hard drive. 75 gigs will go fast, this thing also only has one IDE port so to you will likely need an IDE card. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132009 )

Neither of those are necessary though, your comp will run great.

05-02-2007, 01:53 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Thanks for bringing up the hard drive issue. However this is one characteristic that I have that many others lack - I don't use a lot of space. Whenever I built my computers I try to use as many free parts as possible. We have a ton of parts, and I'd always reuse the hard drives that we have (along with other various parts). So I'm accustomed to being limited to around 16 GB of disk space . I guess you can say I was "raised" to be space effective, and that this 74 GB will be like moving into a mansion for me. However if I need to, I can always do a raid setup like you suggested.

Also, I will look into that extra stick of ram. Call me old fashioned, but I thought you need to have either 2, 4, or 8 GB of ram to have optimal performance (especially because of the dual core; each core having 1, 2, or 4 to itself). Is this no longer the case?

05-02-2007, 02:56 PM
PixelDawn is offline PixelDawn
Expertise:
Software:

PixelDawn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to PixelDawn

Old

Instead of an AMD Setup, I'd recommend going with the Intel Core2Duo E6600 processor and the Asus P5B Motherboard. The rest of the config seems pretty solid to me.

05-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah, those are pretty good. I myself am going with an Intel E6600, and then a different motherboard, with everything else the same. I'm wondering if I should put $150 more into it for the 8800GTS though, otherwise I'd get the 8600, as I'm on a budget.

05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Hmm, I'm a hardcore AMD guy mostly because of the fact that every time I've ever built a computer AMD was the way to go. But it looks like times have changed and Intel surpassed AMD. Thanks for bringing that up PixelDawn, I'll have to make the switch. Performance is performance...

As to Andrew, I would go with the 8800GTS. Its $150 extra, but the 8600 may not have enough power if you play a lot of games. I'm trying to fight the urge to upgrade to the 8800GTX, that thing is a beast. Its either an upgraded card, or Vista x64 Ultimate for me.

05-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yeah, I'm an AMD fanboi myself, and as much as I hate to admit it, but the Core2Duo is a much better performer than the Athlon X2.

05-02-2007, 06:32 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

The only problem that I'm having is finding a motherboard that I like for the Core 2 Duo (has to be Asus, won't go with anybody else). All of the reviews on the Asus boards for Intel suck.

05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

From what I've read Asus P5B seems to be the best. I'll do some more research and get back to you.

05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Maybe Asus isn't the way to go with Intel. I just don't know any other reputable companies, and Asus hasn't let me down before. My main requirements is that I can have the option to overclock, it supports SLI, and that it isn't to cramped; when I decide to run SLI those two 8800's take up a LOT of space.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >