Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1137 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Dilemma in pricing!

Thread title: Dilemma in pricing!
09-21-2012, 03:46 AM
Rainmaker is offline Rainmaker
Software:

Rainmaker is on a distinguished road

Old  Dilemma in pricing!

I've been making websites since the early 2000s but as a passion and hobby. I never ventured into freelancing. Recently, I completed a college program in New Media and was able to learn more about the industry. I decided to try freelancing as a web designer to gain professional experience with clients but I'm not sure how to sort out pricing. I've done a lot of research on the topic and it seems to come down to your experience and charging what you believe you're work is worth.

Hence, my dilemma... I'm inexperienced in the sense that I haven't dealt with clients in the past. But I am knowledgable in design / front-end development and have been doing it on and off as a passion for over ten years. Should I be charging the same as a recent college graduate or as someone with years of experience?

I'm confident in my skills and my work but I'm not the most business-savvy designer and I don't have any experience dealing with clients. How can I work out a pricing system that doesn't undervalue my skills or over-compensate given my lack experience with client?

09-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

If you're planning to start freelancing, the first thing you have to do is take freelancing seriously. Most small businesses (the statistic used to be about 3 out of 5) fail and the two most common reasons are lack of good business management and undercapitalization.

That said, in general you charge based on your skill in the work you claim to be skilled at.

09-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Rainmaker is offline Rainmaker
Software:

Rainmaker is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Can assure you I am taking any endeavours in my career path seriously. I suppose I'm also concerned since any decision I make may impact me further down the line.

09-23-2012, 07:10 AM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

Knowledge about design / front-end development is a valuable asset, so charge accordingly.

10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
navigator10 is offline navigator10
Expertise: webdesign,design,programming
Software: Dreamweaver,Firefox,VSC#

navigator10 is on a distinguished road

Old

if you want to find projects on freelancer websites, is important to complete your profile and portfolio on that website and is good to have the price a little low to increase your chances to win your first projects after you will have a reputation you can set your price at the real value

11-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Sevencomet is offline Sevencomet
Software: photoshop,excel

Sevencomet is on a distinguished road

Old

In business you set prices to overcome expense of providing that good/service. Charging low price to gain customer is always a bad choice if you can't cover your expenses or profit too small to sustain growth. Take in to account your fixed expense (eg. time,stock image) and your fluctuating expenses(one off expenses. eg bank charges).won't go into that much detail but your prices need to be higher than these expense.

For example
make # be a flat rate
Logo design cost
Time * $1.50
Stockimage *$1.00
#Bankcharge * 1 or number of project
so your price should be like this

8 hours * $2.00
5 stock image *$1.50
1 bank charge * $5.00
=$28.50
This may be higher or lower depend on your mark up. As you gain reputation you can increase the price of time.

Ps . This is not the correct method to calculate prices but to steer you in the right direction.