Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 766 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Agencies requireing portfolio exclusion

Thread title: Agencies requireing portfolio exclusion
12-08-2011, 03:17 AM
twhitman is offline twhitman
Software:

twhitman is on a distinguished road

Old  Agencies requireing portfolio exclusion

So, I am having an issue with a client of mine. They are an agency, and it's the first one I have worked for before. They are very easy to work with and have never had any issues with them other than this.

So the problem is that they will not allow me to use any of the work I do for them on my own portfolio. The first time this happened was on their own company site, but we had a bit of a mix up over it and I let it slide for a nominal charge.

But I've recently gone in with them on a bid for anther site and got it. But again, they are telling me I cannot use it for my portfolio even though it was not brought up before hand. They are also telling me that they have never had another web designer say that this is a problem and that it is an understood rule that when you work for a large agency, you cannot use the work on your own portfolio. But a few of my old teachers say it's odd that they are not allowing me to do this.

So, what's the truth? Is it pretty normal for an agency to not allow you to use your work you do for them on your portfolio, and should it be charge for or not?

thank you!

12-08-2011, 03:59 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Norms are worthless and don't mean anything. What does it say in the contract?

Personally, anyone trying to hire me would be looking at a minimum of a 50% increase on sites I could not claim work for.

12-08-2011, 09:19 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

norms are worthless in the sense that if they didn't stipulate terms up front, they have much less to stand on, but all in all it's pretty common practice for agency's to hold intellectual ownership over their projects. it's just like a normal full-time employee agreement.

it's risky going against them, though. american express has a whole legal team dedicated to finding people who try to show work they did and suing them.

being able to show it in a private setting, like a job interview is different. mainly, they just want to deter people from implying they held the client account and had direct contact and cutting the agency out of the picture.