Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 954 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

Getting Started

Thread title: Getting Started
Closed Thread    
12-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old  Getting Started

Here is an article I wrote a while back.

Getting Started
Getting started with a design is not the easiest thing in the world. It takes hours of thinking, in most cases days for a good idea to be put in an effective website. To create a successfully effective website you need to include a few key concepts in to your layout, which are Theme, Navigation, Design and most importantly Content. These key concepts will create a clean but full page, which visitors look for. Following the outlines of these concepts below, you can offer an organized site to your visitors.

Theme
When we talk about theme, we are talking about what your website is about. The theme of your site will tell your visitors a lot about you, along with your selected domain name. A domain name and site name that is related to your content will allow more people to understand what exactly your site is about before visiting it, and with the right selection it may even toss your search page rankings up. When I say a related name, I don’t mean a domain like tonsofarticlesforyou.com, but something like 4articles.com. The theme of your site should contain a main topic as web design, which can flow in to sub topics like templates, tutorials, and what not. Having a site that is based on animals and containing tutorials for html will get a little scary considering that it is based on more then one main topics. Also, start your site’s main topic off slowly with one subtopic then once you have content in it, add another subtopic. Overall, stick to a related website name and domain as to the main topic of your site, and then to sub topics that are related to your main topic.

Navigation
Visitors love web sites that they can navigate through fast with out having to think much. Make sure you make your navigation simple and understandable. Try spreading the content out in to categories as Invano does. They display an effective navigation, defiantly worth a look. Even including a link to a site map at the bottom of your page is helpful to an average computer user. Without an efficient navigation system, a user might not be able to get to your content, even if it is extraordinary, which could be a loss of a potential client. Sticking to a simple navigation style maybe not sound so sweet, but it’s worth it for those computer dummies that come by.

Design
A nice, clean, and fast loading design is the way to go. When we talk about nice, we mean flowing colors and a good font selection. Stick with colors that go with each other. Clean designs are designs that do not invlove much of graphic intense, they provide easy navigation and come off as neat as a tidy design. For a fast loading we suggest making sure that it loads under 10 seconds. The majority of web users exit a webpage if it fails to load in 10 seconds.

Content
Content is the most important part of any site. If there’s no content present, then you have no page in my opinion. With any theme of a website, visitors will visit sites that contain the most content on the theme and the most updates to the content. The more content your site has, the more popular your site will become, the more updates your site has, the more return visitors you will receive. Take time on your content, try not to rush thorough anything! Make it the best of your abilities, that way, it should turn out excellent. Remember, you will want to slow down on this part; it’s the most important part of any web site. It’s the structure.

Overall if you remember these key concepts, you will most likely come up with a well designed web site. Remember: Theme, Navigation, Design and most importantly Content.

12-20-2004, 06:40 PM
x3knet is offline x3knet
Expertise:
Software:

x3knet is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to x3knet Send a message via MSN to x3knet Send a message via Yahoo to x3knet

Old

Great read. Good article man!

12-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks x3knet. Hope it helped.

12-20-2004, 10:09 PM
karl472001 is offline karl472001
Software:

karl472001 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to karl472001

Old

Thanks for the article Remix. You did a great job on it!

12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Karl x3net didn't write this article.

12-20-2004, 10:37 PM
karl472001 is offline karl472001
Software:

karl472001 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to karl472001

Old

Pardon? I believe my post says Remix.

Edited post.

Sorry, I got mixed up as I was scrolling down.

12-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Refekt is offline Refekt
Expertise:
Software:

Refekt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Refekt Send a message via MSN to Refekt

Old

where did my post go?

12-20-2004, 10:45 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software: