Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1176 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Macbook Air

Thread title: Macbook Air
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
01-19-2008, 01:09 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

My comment wasn't directed at you, I do apologize for the confusion.

It was in relation to

Originally Posted by Gille View Post
Yeah, i'd buy it if it were with more option... Comeon, one USB port... that's just pathetic.

Originally Posted by 6creations View Post
Incorrect Jamie, I was saying that if you needed more than one USB slot, and you needed it for it's wireless features and to be "on the go" then this just doesn't suffice, and therefore sucks.

Why would someone on the go only be using one USB slot? I take my laptop to school a lot of the time, and I always have at least one slot in use, and a lot of the time need another (which is there for use). For example, I need to use a USB wireless modem thing for Internet on the go whereever I am, that's one slot taken up already.

Say for example I were to buy a Macbook Air for it's "on the go" features, which is exactly why I use my current laptop, then I would run into a lot of difficulties because I'd only be able to plug in my USB wireless modem and not my USB stick with my school work or whatever on it.

I'm not whining whatsoever, this is just a kind of review.

Regards,
Taiyab.
Regarding your post, I don't see the requirement of the USB modem. Being wireless means you can use the built in wi-fi to connect to hotspots, where I am I can connect to plenty of free open wi-fi's and if not, I can connect and pay for the wi-fi I use, such as on the train to London at the weekend or whatever. The business class (or ultra-portable market) using the laptop assumably would have access to the internet, we are all wireless anyways (I hope) I don't see everyones problem with the MBA, really I don't.

But why would you need to have a USB plugged in? and connected to the web at the same time? It would make sense and good practice, to pull everything from your USB before you edit it (That's what I do, and I would recommend) and then edit on the Mac, instead of directly to the USB. USB sticks are known to be unreliable and can easily be damaged or lost.

Aswel, I'd be working on my mac writing an article or press release or magazine work, like I can imagine this laptop being used for, and not needing to be connected to the web. I go hours everyday without the web simply because I don't need it. I think the fact we all as consumers are just expecting features to be built in or 'just there' even if we don't need them because we're used to having them.

Anyways, I've gone off the point a little and I'm not trying to have a slanging match, I probably dislike the ideas behind the MBA myself but I can come to terms from a business minded angle the MBA isn't going to be suited to everyone. I know of a good 5 or 10 people who have pre-ordered already simply because it's the best for them, because they don't need all the feature rich bonuses you get with other macs, it simply would do the job for them.

The only cable I have plugged into my laptop is the ethernet, I recharge my MBP when I get home or 'into the office'. I rarely find myself when I am out at different locations the need of internet but if I do, I access open wi-fi's or there will be a wi-fi there I can connect to.

One thing I do miss is the built in ethernet for the MBA, that was the only drawback of me not buying one, and plus, I've learnt not to be an early adopter in Apple products anymore.

Originally Posted by Marky View Post
It looks good - but I'd rather go bigger and more powerful - plus the price is a little hefty...
Try out the MacBook Pro, that's what I need and that's what I use.

01-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Josh Greenaway is offline Josh Greenaway
Expertise:
Software:

Josh Greenaway is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Josh Greenaway

Old

I think the MacBook Air is a great notebook. Apple are doing new things, taking advantage of what they can do and actually putting it into production. Okay it might not be to everyone's taste and not everyone can afford it, but it's still a great piece of equiptment. Especially for those which are always on the move, travelling a lot.

My uncle's a Arcitect and as soon as I told him about the MacBook Air, he pre-ordered one straight away. Simply because it's so portable, yet it has a nice screen, fairly decent hard drive for what he needs, it's got a nice processor etc etc.

People arguing that it's a useless piece of technology are so wrong. It's useless to some yeah, but incredibly useful for others. It's useful to the ones it's actually aimed at.

I shall definitely be purchasing one in a couple of months when I don't have other priorities. :P

01-21-2008, 03:06 PM
zerotothe5th is offline zerotothe5th
Software:

zerotothe5th is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to zerotothe5th

Old

Originally Posted by Josh Greenaway View Post
I think the MacBook Air is a great notebook. Apple are doing new things, taking advantage of what they can do and actually putting it into production. Okay it might not be to everyone's taste and not everyone can afford it, but it's still a great piece of equiptment. Especially for those which are always on the move, travelling a lot.

My uncle's a Arcitect and as soon as I told him about the MacBook Air, he pre-ordered one straight away. Simply because it's so portable, yet it has a nice screen, fairly decent hard drive for what he needs, it's got a nice processor etc etc.

People arguing that it's a useless piece of technology are so wrong. It's useless to some yeah, but incredibly useful for others. It's useful to the ones it's actually aimed at.

I shall definitely be purchasing one in a couple of months when I don't have other priorities. :P
That's an excellent argument. I guess the main problem I have left is the price. I didnt think very many people would be willing to pay so much just for the portability aspect, but I guess they are.

01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Josh Greenaway is offline Josh Greenaway
Expertise:
Software:

Josh Greenaway is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Josh Greenaway

Old

I'll agree with you on the price side of things, zerotothe5th. Is it rather pricey but then again, I guess the technology is half the reason. For instance, the 60% smaller processor. When you think about how much it must of cost to create it, research etc, it'll probably be quite a fair bit I'd imagine. They have to make money somehow. =P

I think anyone who pays for the SSD though, is absolutely crazy. Here in the UK it's over £600 extra just for that!

01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

Looks pretty terrible, unless your blind and a fanboy. Can't see it being very practical, and to be realistic, its not THAT much smaller than a normal macbook.

01-22-2008, 04:43 AM
jylan is offline jylan
Expertise:
Software:

jylan is on a distinguished road

Old

I think 90% of people will get a Macbook air either because it's so sexy and cool looking, OR they actually need it because they travel a lot and the MBA is so light and thin.

The price here in Australia is almost ridiculous though

01-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Matsta is offline Matsta
Expertise:
Software:

Matsta is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Matsta Send a message via MSN to Matsta

Old

Originally Posted by jylan View Post
I think 90% of people will get a Macbook air either because it's so sexy and cool looking, OR they actually need it because they travel a lot and the MBA is so light and thin.

The price here in Australia is almost ridiculous though
The Price is even more crazy in NZ.

I cbf reading this thread but here are my thoughts.

Well first off it's costly. Yeah if you don't wanna pay for something which is thinner then don't get it. Get the normal macbook. It's nearly $1000 cheaper. Really if you wanna look good and have the moola then the air is for you. This would apply to businessmen etc.

Yes, it has only one usb port but the people who would be using it won't need any more. Really all you can do it on it, is go on the net, check your emails and show powerpoint's to your clients. Basically theres nothing else you can do with it properly. Mainly this is because of only mono audio and no mic.
So no watching movies (unless you want bad audio) and no gaming really (well you could get away with playing wow and CS maybe).

So if your not a person whos using your computer to its full potential and you got money to burn, the macbook is the way to go. Also I can say the solid state ain't worth it. Though the HD runs at 4200rpm (nearly twice as slow as a normal 7200 HD) though the 2gig of ram should cover it.

In my opinion i would never buy one myself, but really does look the s%^&*.

01-26-2008, 02:05 AM
RobertSharma is offline RobertSharma
Software:

RobertSharma is on a distinguished road

Old

the macbook air was a complete disappointment in my eyes! sure it's all thin and portable, but let's be realistic, the prices of apple hardware are ALL over the top! starting from the ipod nano to the mac pro!

01-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Andrew06 is offline Andrew06
Software:

Andrew06 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Andrew06 Send a message via MSN to Andrew06

Old

Originally Posted by RobertSharma View Post
the macbook air was a complete disappointment in my eyes! sure it's all thin and portable, but let's be realistic, the prices of apple hardware are ALL over the top! starting from the ipod nano to the mac pro!
Agreed. Apple is a bit pricy with all of their products but the Air is way overpriced in my honest opinion when you can get the macbook for cheaper and better specs.

01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Sahil is offline Sahil
Expertise:
Software:

Sahil is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Sahil Send a message via MSN to Sahil

Old

My main argument against it is that it's almost the same size as the MacBook, just more thin.

I'm not bashing the MacBook Air, but I believe it's stupid to buy it when for a lot less you could get a more powerful usable notebook that is *slightly* more thick.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >