Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 835 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Quest for indepth posts.

Thread title: Quest for indepth posts.
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 >
10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old  Quest for indepth posts.

Hi folks,

I know that many of you don't spend as much time around here as I do, and therefore the time that you do spend here is precious, but I would really like to see some more indepth posts being made by our regular members.

The general, basic idea behind web forums such as TalkFreelance is to enable its members to put across their points of view on any particular subject. If your POV is simply, "I like it" then fair enough but putting a little extra time and effort into your posting can be rewarding. Not least because you can much more clearly and precisely put across your POV along with why you think that way, but also because by doing so you're inviting the community to put forward similarly well thought out responses.

So, here is my quest (or request):
At least once per day, could every member write a post (new thread, or reply) of at least 100 words (the length of the paragraph above) AND/OR spend at least 5 minutes planning a structured reply. The two generally go hand-in-hand: Planned replies take time and have length.
Who knows if anyone will pick up on this idea, and it is far from being a rule (or enforcable!) but worth a try.

Cheers,
Salathe

10-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Kazor is offline Kazor
Expertise:
Software:

Kazor is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Kazor

Old

I agree, people some times only post "i love it" or "i hate it" they never go into depth answers and tell the people on talkfreelance why they beleive this. and the idea of:

At least once per day, could every member write a post (new thread, or reply) of at least 100 words (the length of the paragraph above) AND/OR spend at least 5 minutes planning a structured reply. The two generally go hand-in-hand: Planned replies take time and have length.
i would certainly agree with this as it can be very good material for other members to read, and the basic "i like it" could be changed into "i like it because.....blah blah blah"

Thanks for your comments Salathe, and i would also like to be reading your future posts

10-09-2005, 05:46 PM
sliceandcode is offline sliceandcode
Expertise:
Software:

sliceandcode is on a distinguished road

Old

Good one, I'll take the time to do it. Normally, I really don't like posting too long because then I get distracted from the work that I'm doing.

10-09-2005, 05:53 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I agree Salathe...

If every member made one new thread or a few posts per day Talkfreelance would be about 10 x more active and interesting

10-09-2005, 06:11 PM
techo is offline techo
Software:

techo is on a distinguished road

Old

I will join you on your quest salathe.

10-09-2005, 06:17 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Btw Techo, your sig is great lol.

10-09-2005, 07:02 PM
techo is offline techo
Software:

techo is on a distinguished road

Old

I was bored of text based sigs.

10-09-2005, 08:03 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

I thought there was something wrong with my monitor the first time I saw your sig.. because i'd only just finished messing around with the settings.

Hehe.

10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Can we please keep on-topic? One little comment and the whole thing gets skewed away from the original line of conversation. Thanks Kazor for putting across a decent response.

"I will join you on your quest salathe." Thanks for your vote of support, but is type of post is something I'm trying to eradicate! It is all well and good posting "I agree" replies but at the very least qualify your agreement. "I agree because...", "I will join you because...".

To those who posted off-topic, and especially Robson for instigating the whole thing, shame on you. Please keep off-topic replies off-forum, or start a new thread if the comment is worthy of a proper discussion. The PM system has its uses, and this could have been one of them. A quick PM from Robson to techo would have prevented the topic skewing and would have been a more personal touch on Robson's part.

10-09-2005, 10:19 PM
xZaft is offline xZaft
Expertise:
Software:

xZaft is on a distinguished road

Old

Well that thing you had with lack of apostrophies has happened with my enter key (Try lessening the computer strain), and I am sorry that barely anyone took notice. I for one did, and hope the rein continues to the new generations of TFLer's. It should be a rule to have more the 30 characters in a post let alone 100 words. I mean, theres so many posts in the Graphics forums, that in total would be like a tenth of the amount if they were combined. Though, there are the sum few (sometimes me), who do this, and get flamed for it (YoungCoders). Come on don't put him down for trying to build the forum.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 >