Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1254 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Minimum price for offers (all offer forums)

Thread title: Minimum price for offers (all offer forums)
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old  Minimum price for offers (all offer forums)

I think this has been suggested before but i would like to refresh the subject at matter with creating a new one.

I'm seeing more often freelancers here trying to sell on templates, logos, domains, blog themes, fully grown websites and more for as little as $40, then decreasing the price again and again down to something like $15/$10 when there is no interest.

This isn't really a rant at those users but at the fact offers/requests plays a huge part in this freelance community and people are offering such amazing designs, coding positions available for very cheap prices, which bugs me.

Now i know there are some big freelancers here; in terms of regular posters, good designers and post their work for like $200 a piece and people pay for it. Now are people interested in paying such high prices because of their quality of work or because who they are in terms of being well known. Thoughts?

I think TFL should have a minimum price for posting offers, people in the marketplace are being ripped off. I know, i get ripped off too, where i could go to another marketsite and people would pay double the amount they would pay for here, why is that? Thoughts?

I really think this would be a benefit in how the Marketplace goes, when i hit new posts i see mostly the offers/requests forum in use.

I had another idea apart from the minimum price was that the marketplace was only activated every 3 or 4 days and only open for 1 day, where people can post their work in. I think it will reduce the amount of focusing people have towards the the marketplace and concentrate on freelance topics.

What's your thoughts? I just see lots of work being sold for much cheaper than i think it really could sell for.

12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

This is a good idea although it would not work as the quality of work sold is not at the same level. so if you set a minimum price for 1 psd as $60 some people may find it hard to sell there psd at $60 as it may only be worth $50.

Although i do agree there is alot of people that have there prices below acceptable amounts.

12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Bas is offline Bas
Expertise: Frontend, vBulletin
Software: Coda, Photoshop

Bas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bas

Old

I think a minimum price is a good idea, it probably shouldn't be $100 for a design though, but rather $40-$50, just to keep the price on a decent level so it won't drop to $10 for a design.

12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

I try to sell all my stuff for $40 or so (my old stuff that is coded usually, I may add) but then when I drop down to $10 after a few weeks of non-stop attempts to sell, NO ONE still wants to buy. I could (haven't tried yet) sell it easily for $40 at other forums because they don't want to undersell their work.

12-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

We've actually been discussing this on the staff side.

I personally wanted a required min of $80 for a logo =p

12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

Dont you start from $75 Bennet for logos ?

12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I hope that was a joke about $80 for a logo bennett, if it did happen to me that only be to push more business towards you.

12-08-2006, 04:08 PM
jd. is offline jd.
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

jd. is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jd.

Old

this would just push away tons of people. no one wants a limit on how much they will sell their stuff

12-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

I don't think we should ever incorporate this. Besides the fact that designers should be able to price their work at whatever they feel it is worth, and what it will sell at, it is simple economics that if you incorporate something like this, it will fail.

This tactic is called a "Price Floor" - a set price by an overseeing organization that no business may price under. Governments have tried repeatedly to incorporate either a price floor, or a price ceiling in many situations that a market was failing in order to help it out. In almost every case, it has failed.

So if you set a price floor, you will end up getting something like this:

Now, for some of you guys who won't understand this, let me explain...

Right now, we have a decent price equilibrium - a normal price that is about an average of $40.00 (marked P(e)) per design sold. We have a decent number of buyers (marked Q(e)).

By messing with the pricing, and incorporating a price floor (to say $80.00) - marked P(1) - you will increase supply - more designers will want to sell. However, this will lower demand, and now no one will want to buy any designs - marked Q(1).

This will create what's called a "market failure" in which the only designers that prosper are the ones that are already in the market...or in our case, the good designers with a reputation. The little guys, or the ones that need money quick, or want to get rid of something, will never be able to make any money at all. Furthermore, you'll drive potential customers from all of us because no one wants to be forced to pay a minimum of $80.00.

Sorry to give you an essay, but I felt that I had to make a strong arguement before this rule was enacted. It'll kill the marketplace, and it'll make a lot of designers suffer.

Sorry, I took a couple courses in economics.

12-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Good reply Bryan, here in New Zealand it is called Price Fixing.

Everyone, Bennett has said we have been discussing this in the staff forum.

There will be an interesting development in the marketplace that I am sure all of you will like.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >