Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1156 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Behavior & Marketplace

Thread title: Behavior & Marketplace
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
10-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

Originally Posted by Corey
You are right. Though it seems that it won't happen on its own. I am going to make a few general suggestions.

1. The Marketplace should cost thread starters something to create. If you look at other similar communities, SitePoint probably has the most successful. I believe this is mainly inpart because it charges users to create new threads. Anywhere from $5 - $20, when you are paying that much, you can't mess around. But if you look at other places that don't charge, such as WebHostingTalk, you see the same trend as here, not a lot of success, and still pretty minimal wages and profits being made.

I think it would be fair to charge a minimum of $1 per thread being created in the marketplace, and maybe $2 or $3 for certain areas. Of course it would be unpopular and activity would die for a bit while members adjust, but the quality of listings would greatly improve.

2. I think the Marketplace should only be accessible to users who have earned it or otherwise veteran members. Let everyone be able to read and post replies, but only veterans allowed to post new threads and sales. This would call for a separation of offers and requests.

4. I think threads in the Marketplace should not be "bumpable" and by that I mean they should simply go down the line in the order in which they are created. Even replies, auctions should simply go down the line in the order they were created. Thus everything on the front page will be FRESH and we won't have to see auctions that are already completed. It's very annoying for a buyer.

There are probably a million other things we could do too, but the main things I want to see disappear are the following:

- Full web sites being sold for under $75 (unless they are turnkey)
- Lifetime links being sold
- Coding xhtml/css designs for less than $40
- Coding WordPress designs for less than $75
- Coding vBulletin designs for less than $100
- The sale of more than one item in a thread
- The sale of text links for less than half of what TLA recommends
- The sale of banners for less than $0.75 per 1000 pageviews
- Bid increments lower than $5 or even better, $10. I hate seeing $1 increments.
All great ideas and i think these should definately be implemented. Especially the prices limit, paying to start a thread would be annoying but a good thing, and people earning the privalalige to create a thread there would be good aswell.

10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for your input Corey, I'm sure it will all be taken into consideration and infact I'll let you know that the staff have been talking about this quite recently actually and we are focused on improving the MP.

Just to give you my take on some of the points you mentioned; making threads in the Market Place "non bumpable" is something I've been mentioning for months. Now, I can't give you an official stance on it or anything but I think it's something that we will probably seriously look into once we start work on the MarketPlace. Or atleast I perosnally hope so.

I don't think paid listings would work on TalkFreelance just yet, again thats just my personal opinion - I wont say anything else on that as it's not really my place to say.

Infact thats all I will say for now because as I mentioned the MarketPlace is currently under major review by the staff and it's best if I don't say anything while we are working on it.

I promise you though that we are working to make these improvements and you WILL start to see the effects of these improvements sooner rather than later

10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Tom is offline Tom
Expertise:
Software:

Tom is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Tom

Old

Originally Posted by Bazza`
you WILL start to see the effects of these improvements sooner rather than later
Good to see these things are being talked about and some action is been taken, i'm sure this forum will soon be back on its feet.

10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Ornithopter is offline Ornithopter
Expertise: PHP, SQL, jQuery, XHTML & CSS
Software: Aptana, Firebug, Evernote

Ornithopter is on a distinguished road

Old

I promise you though that we are working to make these improvements and you WILL start to see the effects of these improvements sooner rather than later
Yay.

But seriously, thanks.

10-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Bas is offline Bas
Expertise: Frontend, vBulletin
Software: Coda, Photoshop

Bas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bas

Old

Just to give you my take on some of the points you mentioned; making threads in the Market Place "non bumpable" is something I've been mentioning for months.
You can sort the threads by date, by default. This can be changed in the admin CP in less than 1 minute

10-29-2006, 10:20 PM
alporto is offline alporto
Software:

alporto is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to alporto Send a message via MSN to alporto

Old

I'm not sure if paid listings would work just yet.

Many people would leave and go to a forum that doesnt have paid listings, eg digitalpoint.

But in turn this may work out and seed out the professionals from the unprofessionals.

10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bas
You can sort the threads by date, by default. This can be changed in the admin CP in less than 1 minute
Yup, it's not my descion to make but I hope it's something that will happen and I'd imagine that it's something that might happen when we begin to take action on the Market Place. I mean in terms of improving the Market place in general it'll be a great move as it gets rid of spam bump posts and makes all the staff's jobs that little bit easier at the same time and like you said it's a really quick and easy thing to do

10-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Bas
Please explain how this is done Bas.

10-30-2006, 03:46 AM
jd. is offline jd.
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

jd. is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jd.

Old

Admin CP > Forum & Moderators > Forum Manager > Select the forum(s) and do the following screen shot.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9052/sortbyxo4.jpg

10-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Gatt is offline Gatt
Expertise: Design & Development
Software: Photoshop

Gatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Gatt Send a message via Skype™ to Gatt

Old

I think there isnt many people here who buy YET, i think if people will pay.. they might just pay for nothing.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >