Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2764 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

work for a job site

Thread title: work for a job site
06-01-2011, 08:24 AM
unikorndesigns is offline unikorndesigns
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver and etc

unikorndesigns is on a distinguished road

Old  work for a job site

I am a college student and i had developed a software for the college. Referring to my work i was being asked by the college to help them out with a login facility needed in their job portal site they are planning to develop. The job portal is basically accessible only by the students in my college and the companies in our locality. The companies will be able post, edit, delete jobs and the students can view the job posts and apply for it.

Now the software has got only one login facility. The companies and the students can access their account only through this login facility. This is where they asked me to work on and help them in the coding. Well, how much shall i charge them? Shall i charge them on an hourly basis?

06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Short answer is: it all depends. And I'm surprised that the school hasn't told you what they'll pay you--a less good set up for you but more typical.

Here are a few things to think about
1. Write a careful contract or, if they give you one, read it carefully.
Many institutions--nonprofits like universities & museums, but also many corporations--will insist that they hold the rights to your work if it was done on their premises or on their behalf. I'm more familiar with this problem in engineering design and patents, but the principle is the same. You don't want to discover in a year or so that your college is selling your work for profit without crediting or paying you.
2. Consider how long it will take you & what you need to earn to pay all your bills during that time. Double that number. Use that as a base point to start figuring.
  • ]
  • Raise the number if you have a lot of relevant experience
  • Raise the number if this is a rush job.
  • Lower the number if you've never done this kind of work before.
  • Do [ITAL]not[/ITAL] lower the number because you're desperate for work or want to be seen as a good guy.
  • And so on.

Good luck