Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1533 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

Tutorial community design

Thread title: Tutorial community design
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
10-27-2007, 06:51 PM
.Cyanide is offline .Cyanide
Expertise: Web Design, Coding
Software: Phoshop CS3

.Cyanide is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to .Cyanide

Old  Tutorial community design

Hey

It's been a while since I managed to make a template that I'm satisfied with, but this one actually came out very nice

Please comment and give feedback!

Preview: http://www.imgpig.com/images/1193510967.png

Thanks

10-27-2007, 07:15 PM
rasberry is offline rasberry
Expertise:
Software:

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rasberry

Old

http://i21.tinypic.com/2dtyfb9.jpg

Pros = Green
Cons = Red

Anything else is just alright in my opinion.
Great job on the navigation, that looks good.

10-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Catalyst is offline Catalyst
Expertise: Design
Software:

Catalyst is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Catalyst

Old

Nice work. The logo stands out a little too much and doesn't fit with the design, but I like the color scheme (of course), and the simplicity makes it even better.

10-27-2007, 09:36 PM

Old

Originally Posted by rasberry View Post
http://i21.tinypic.com/2dtyfb9.jpg

Pros = Green
Cons = Red
Huh?

10-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Michael C is offline Michael C
Expertise:
Software:

Michael C is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Michael C

Old

They have hightlighted good parts of the design with green and bad parts with red. Really good actually what they have done. I would agree with how he has marked it on the image. Also I dont like the pattern in the banner behind the logo. By that I mean the horizontal bars.

I actually really like the template though, especially the links below the second banner type thing.

10-27-2007, 11:28 PM
rasberry is offline rasberry
Expertise:
Software:

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rasberry

Old

Jakob, let me go into a little more detail. As mikka said, the parts I've highlighted in red are, in my opinion, the parts that could be much better. The parts I've hightlighted in green, are the good parts.

Cons:

1) The slight stroke at the botto of the top green bar. Its been used many times and any time I see that I don't think of it as good looking. Something I suggest: Make it into a dark 2-3 pixel line and have it touch the bottom of the green bar. Not a big deal though, many people may not think like me.

2) The log-in box. I can quite pinpoint why I don't like it, I'm guessing its just too abrupt. You haven't a shadow or a fade, elements that typically allow abruptness in a design, which makes it kind of a bland stop of the pattern and transition into the box. I'd also suggest taking out the famfamfam icons and find alternatives, simply because they're so overly-used, but that's of course up to you.

3) The search area. I think the search could have been pulled off better, it looks as if it was cramped into the little sub-navigation bar. I believe it should be a little bigger, at least, and if you can't fit it in the sub navigation bar just merge it with the top.

4) The logo. The logo edges cut off, it looks to me like a result of downsizing in photoshop. I'm assuming you made this large and re-scaled to fit. My suggestion? Go vector, it'll take a few minutes to re-create in illustrator, and you'll have no downsizing defects like that. The vector format offers many more benefits, too, so I strongly suggest it. If you don't have access to illustrator or don't know how to do it, I'd say its worth remaking a smaller version in photoshop (assuming that's what you used to make this, of course).

5) The sidebar navigation link backgrounds. I'd suggest solid lines, or full backgrounds, and possibly arrows or some kind of list decoration off to the side so it doesn't look so empty.

6) Not a big thing, but I personally think a sold or even a dotted (rather than dashed) line would look better than the current dashed lines you have acting as link-splitters under latest articles. If you do this, and then you do it for the navigation right above, it adds consistency to your design and I'm sure will look better.

7) Once again just the tutorial circle logo on the bar under the picture, looks like it holds the same downsizing defects as up top on the main logo.

8) The "What is happening on tutorialcircle" area, I suggest adding something there. Its far too boring for this design. It doesn't have to be large, it could just be a date in bold, extra line-spacing, or some difference to the type. It could be an icon, or another element. I also suggest more padding, its too close to all of the edges.

Some AA would probably be beneficial to your design too.

I think the best part of your design is the navigation, its clean and easy to use.
One major downfall of the design, though, is the functionality. I think you should list more tutorials and have either page links (pagination) or just a standard scroll bar, instead of vertical numbers for the page scroller. If this is a tutorial community then your main focus will want to be on the tutorials (and community, of course, but speaking of design perspective). Right now, I can't see myself happy clicking those sideways 1's 2's and 3's, a scroll bar or pagination would be beneficial to that area.

Anyway, that's all. How's this for Gallery critique, eh?

10-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Shanks is offline Shanks
Software:

Shanks is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by rasberry View Post
Amazingly detailed critique.
An applause for rasberry. I agree with most of what he said, and it's surely a design worth critiquing as well. Good job .Cyanide.

10-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Eli is offline Eli
Software:

Eli is on a distinguished road

Old

That light/bold thing you've got going on in the logo text is horrible imo.

10-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

You're improving very well and very quickly .Cyanide. Good work mate.

10-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Old

@ Rasberry: Wow, I'm not sure I have time to read all that :P

@ Eli: ...mkay.

@ Anthony: Thanks mate

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >