Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1897 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Web Developers: Do you have a degree?

Thread title: Web Developers: Do you have a degree?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
04-15-2007, 05:20 PM
ckandes1 is offline ckandes1
Expertise:
Software:

ckandes1 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ckandes1

Old  Web Developers: Do you have a degree?

I'm about to go into one of the Art Institutes, and I was just curious about this so I thought I'd ask:

How many of you web developers out there actually have a degree in web development, and on the other hand how many of you are self-learned?

For those of you that have a degree, is it a bachelors, or associates? Do you value your degree? What exactly is the degree in (there are different forms), and where did you earn it? Do you value the school you went to? Do you feel that you have learned some things that would have been much harder to learn on your own? Did you find it easy to get a job in the field?

For those of you who are self-learned, do you feel that you know everything you could have learned at a college or institute? Do you feel that you're better off without the expensive education? Did you find it easy to get a job in the field?

---------
This information would be really helpful to me. The Art Institute wants about $75,000 from me, but at the same time I feel I would not succeed quite like I want to without the foundation I would gain from going to a school. I understand that you can learn these things on your own, but it seems like you'd make better coverage in a school, and an instructor to keep you from making mistakes that you might overlook otherwise should be extremely helpful. Besides, when you're paying $75k to learn something, you will definitely be slightly more motivated to submerse yourself in the studies, and actually get somewhere with it.

Anyway, wanted to hear some thoughts from people who're actually in the field.

04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

i've done both; i've been teaching myself since i was 16, and i went to school to get the solidified papers for the job hunt.

it's entirely possible succeed with avoiding school, but it's a much tougher fight. with the 2 year program i took, i was at a higher calibre going in than the average graduate because i had put so much effort into teaching myself beforehand. i was designing all through high school then went off to college and got a job stright out of school - i actually got hired on the day of my graduation ceremony. having said that, i still learned things i may not have if i stuck it out on my own.

in the creative field what you can do is more important than how you learned to do it. i took the school road, but i have friends who are high school drop outs who are better designers then i am, and they're more successful than i am. and it's not like they're stupid, they're pretty smart, they just knew what they wanted and went stright for it.

context free, i'd say go to school because it's a great experience, it acts as a trial run with deadlines, briefs and expecations that will have a real consequence when you don't hit your target, you'll have assurance you know the right stuff - how many people here are self taught, and how many of them don't know how to do anything outside of photoshop? - and it's always a nice booster for your resume.

however, having said that, $75 000 is a lot to invest into just web design. i spent about 1/10 of that, but my program was a piece of garbage, so you get what you pay for i guess.

04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Feren6 is offline Feren6
Expertise:
Software:

Feren6 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Feren6

Old

I'm 16, and self-taught for the most part. I do an internship at a local web-design studio, and things are going good. But, that's just supplemental, i'm not learning a lot from that. I want to go on to college for this, most likely..but i'm not sure what college would be good.

04-16-2007, 02:20 AM
wasahobo is offline wasahobo
Software:

wasahobo is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to wasahobo Send a message via MSN to wasahobo

Old

I have been teaching my self for years now. I am also one semester away from a degree in web design. Personally I feel I am only going for the little peice of paper that says... "Hey, this kid went to class."

I have found t hough, that most of my classes will only go into one area so far. Meaning they will only teach you the basics, leaving the rest up to you. One nice thing I have found is that if you do start learning on your own and have a question, they are very good at showing you how to do it.

I have one teacher who has to be one of the best programmers I have ever seen. She has worked for companys like NASA and Lockheed Martin. Having someone right there to help you along the way is great.

04-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by wasahobo View Post
I have found t hough, that most of my classes will only go into one area so far. Meaning they will only teach you the basics, leaving the rest up to you.
most new media/multimedia programs are useless because of this. there's way too much material to cover, so they have to stay basic for people who have no background in design.

honestly, the only real kind of program i think is worth the time/money are the 4 year degrees in things like advertising. in the case of an art institute, you shouldn't have a problem with slacking material, as it's an art school and they pride themselves on design. however, for people looking at other schools, do a lot of research, don't just read the program description on the web site/pamphlet.

04-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

If you have talent in the arts; your money would be better spent in a business / finance degree in my opinion.

04-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

yeah, for people who have the personality to run a business, i agree.

04-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
yeah, for people who have the personality to run a business, i agree.

Even people who don't intend to use it in their career could benefit from a few classes on money in my opinion. It's a needed education now days.

04-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

good point.

i was just thinking of people like my brother. he's great at software development, but he'd be horrible at taking charge and running a bussiness.

04-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
good point.

i was just thinking of people like my brother. he's great at software development, but he'd be horrible at taking charge and running a bussiness.
Yeah I didn't mean like marketing and advertising and `i'm your manager; be my friend!` classes... I meant more on personal management of finances.

Now days it seems like no one understands simple principals that are a must if you are to succeed professional and financially. Always good to cramp a few of those classes into your credits when you can.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >