Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1360 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Standards & Validity

Thread title: Standards & Validity
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Lori is offline Lori
Expertise:
Software:

Lori is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Lori Send a message via AIM to Lori Send a message via MSN to Lori Send a message via Yahoo to Lori

Old

I code to standards in all XHTML (tableless) CSS-p. It is requested, and what is sought after from me. Semantic markup first and foremost - the less special ids and classes the better

I do not say no to table designs, as any site is a site worth doing (almost), but tabled designs will never be frontrunner in my portfolio.

Proven over and over, CSS is the way to markup the net, and I am all over it - hands down!

04-27-2005, 08:32 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Anthony
Ok, so we all code standards-compliant and valid code, but who actually takes the time to code within these guidelines?
i do.

04-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

I was kinda banking on you saying that derek :}

04-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

hah. thought i'd do my usual deed of stating the obvious.

in terms of client situations - i'm a designer first, developer second. i code to make the design work, not vice versa like some people do. i stick to the standards because it just makes sense. people don't make software for window 98, they work for what the latest system is. that's how i approach development.

when it can be done in xhtml1.1 i do, when it can't, i drop back to xhtml1.0 transitional since 1.1 and 1.0 strict are pretty much the same when it comes to my hitting problems (if it fails to work in 1.1 it's an alignment issue inherited from the strict doctype).

by default, i work css quicks into my designs for little things to save me trouble and little bandiwith issues, but overall the design controls the coding.

personally, i don't think anyone wil say "i want html 4.1" because it just doesn't make sense. you can do everything in xhtml that html can do, and it's got benefits beyond that. plus, if they know enough about coding to want to specify a certain doctype and language, they shoul know better than to request html 4.1

EDIT: because i design first, develop second, i think validation is completely overrated. yes i think it's helpful, but honestly, it's so easy to fool a validator that it's not reputable.

imageready'd layouts, if you add the doctype and add the /'s (i can't remember does the validator pick up on uppercase tags? if so add change case to my list), can pass through the xhtml validator, but they're nothing close to optimized code w/ 30 spacer.gifs everywhere.

i think standards are good on global level, because it get's everyone working on the same page. it's good to be able to push the bounds everyone in a while, but overall we should all be working with the same kind of thing here. every year car companies make nse models, but tey still retain that basic car shape, where the manufacturer puts their personal touch on it. Ford F 150 vs Model T here. the elements are all the same.

as far as validation goes, i think it's good on a personal level, because in most cases if it passes through, the code works, and usually works in multiple platforms. this isn't the case everytime, but a lot of the time when i run into bugs, it's because i've forgottn to close something.

on a public note, i think it's totally useless. i look @ sites with links that say "valid xhtml and CSS" (yes i did that once) and it looks like it says "look at me i can spell correctly". i don't think it's anything to show off. - i can understand when people put them on portfolios because they're either for a school portfolio - often where the code is marked like in my case, or they're developers and their market cares about that kind of stuff.

04-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Legendary is offline Legendary
Software:

Legendary is on a distinguished road

Old

I am both a developer and a designer. I think coding to the standard is very important, but this is more of a personal opinion. We are all here to improve, use the best techniques that are allowed to us. ATM, I don't see a point of coding in XHTML 1.1 because I would rather wait for XHTML 2.0. Between 1.0 and 1.1, there aren't that many differences from one another. The release of 2.0 will be a whole lot better along with CSS 3.0.

04-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Legendary
I am both a developer and a designer. I think coding to the standard is very important, but this is more of a personal opinion. We are all here to improve, use the best techniques that are allowed to us. ATM, I don't see a point of coding in XHTML 1.1 because I would rather wait for XHTML 2.0. Between 1.0 and 1.1, there aren't that many differences from one another. The release of 2.0 will be a whole lot better along with CSS 3.0.
there really isn't a diffrence, but some people ar eimpressed because it's 'new'.

04-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

I allways code in XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2, and make sure it's actually valid .

~ Joe

04-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

i have always felt that if it works in all the main browsers then to me it doesn't matter if its 100% valid. . . but maybe thats just me

04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
EazMan is offline EazMan
Expertise:
Software:

EazMan is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to EazMan

Old

i make all my code valid. not only does it make the site more professional, it gives me the piece of mind that it works and always will work as long as the language is supported by browsers.

04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

it doesn't always work. my pages all validate, but they don't work in opera. i have to fine tune them now.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >