Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1819 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Dummy Project For Myself

Thread title: Dummy Project For Myself
Closed Thread    
10-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old  Dummy Project For Myself

Hello,

It's been a few months since I've touched PHP, so I'm thinking of starting a small "dummy" project to get me back into the swing of things. Looking for something not too complicated as I'm no expert.

I'm not going to have a whole load of time to work on it due to University and work, but I'll try fit it in somewhere.

Suggest away!

10-09-2008, 06:24 PM
iTony is offline iTony
Software:

iTony is on a distinguished road

Old

What about an articles management system. like posting articles and people able to comment, and admin would be able to manipulate articles and comments.

another simple thing would be a poll system.

10-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by iTony View Post
What about an articles management system. like posting articles and people able to comment, and admin would be able to manipulate articles and comments.

another simple thing would be a poll system.
I have a similar thing which I create for a college project - It's a World Of Warcraft website. The home page has a blog system for an admin to add new articles/new to the home page by using a back-end system. It then displays on the home page with comments etc...

I would like to get that online actually. How would I go about getting the database on my server, so that everything works properly without changing all the code etc...?

10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Nathan King is offline Nathan King
Expertise:
Software:

Nathan King is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

So the database is on your computer and you want to put it on the server?

phpMyAdmin has an "Export" feature that lets you dump the contents of your database (you'll find it on the main page of phpMyAdmin). Make sure it's exported as an SQL file. Then, using a seperate phpMyAdmin install on your server, use the "Import" feature (again on the main page) and import the database. It will maintain table and column names, as well as data.

You might still have to update the code to reflect a new database name (depending on your server), username, and/or password.

10-10-2008, 12:01 AM
dynamic313 is offline dynamic313
Software:

dynamic313 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to dynamic313

Old

Originally Posted by Steven Fergus View Post
I have a similar thing which I create for a college project - It's a World Of Warcraft website. The home page has a blog system for an admin to add new articles/new to the home page by using a back-end system. It then displays on the home page with comments etc...

I would like to get that online actually. How would I go about getting the database on my server, so that everything works properly without changing all the code etc...?
Assuming you have a hosting account:

- upload your site files to your hosting account
- create a database
- edit your database connection settings on your script(s) localhost is almost all cases stays the same, only thing that needs to be changed is username, password and database name.
- you can get a sql dump file (export the database) of your database from the location its currently on (assuming your using a mysql database with phpMyAdmin this task is pretty straight forward)
-once you have the database file you can upload it into the phpMyAdmin of your hosting account.

This should be all you need to do, ofcourse cant do any of this untill you have a hosting account, could be slightly harder if your site doesnt have 1 database config file (if multiple pages contain database connection settings they will all have to be modified)

Hope this helps

Closed Thread