Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2038 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Talkfreelance - The little site...

Thread title: Talkfreelance - The little site...
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Techno is on a distinguished road

Old  Talkfreelance - The little site...

Talkfreelance - The little site that will always stay little.

That should be the title at the top of the page. Talkfreelance, in my opinion has grew no where in the past year. A month or two a go, I would have being cynical and totally blamed the staff (namely Big Zee), called for a reinstatement of Robson and to get rid of Village Idiot.

The sacking of Village Idiot has made me less bitter towards the Talkfreelance staff and I can see properly why this site will never be more then what it is no The reason is the current members, what's wrong with them you may ask? Firstly, they are so unappreciative it's unbelievable someone gives up days to give them an alternative, which he WASN'T getting paid yet we get comments before they even see the style and when they do, most members love it, but no "Surely Jason can't be doing that because no one asked for him, why don't they listen to what members want", quite frankly this person had no idea what people wanted.

Some also feel they are really intelligent, they make comments such as

Originally Posted by Garrett
Hyprovision, you kindof put yourself in your own hole. You shouldn't have said anything but maybe it was a mishap by the staff and I am sure it will soon be fixed rather than making us guess and telling us nothing.
LOL! Did you read the thread, he didn't say nothing. He kept it stump, he didn't create the thread, he didn't even reply with any comments that said much, he kept quiet and there was just one member who kept digging away for a response.

Originally Posted by Garett
As reading through the whole "Skin" thread, your name was only mentioned once for a nomination, so I assume you are doing something else. Unless they again, go outside of the members choices.
Sorry Jason for comming off negative, but if you were to "design" the skin. The majority of the board didn't vote on "you" I have no problem with it, I just see as the staff using that thread as no resource on how there members want a site they visit to look.
Why don't you just come out of the closet? You are designing it, it's a no brainer...or for those who don't know I should scream...

HYPROVISION IS REDOING TFL!
So he dugg the hole? I think not, it was you.

Although this seems a rant on one guy it's not, he just has given the most recent example. It's basically a large proportion of the site who are very unappreciative, nasty and hypocritical, they're also very unhelpful and think they own the site, they think they're the bee's knees of the net, when in reality you're just big fish on a small site.

http://www.talkfreelance.com/f71-htm...dhtml-css.html
http://www.talkfreelance.com/f86-ppc-networks.html

Look at them type of sections, who helps? Not our almighty ultimate xHTML know it alls in AndrewR and Garrett or our successful entrepreneurs... actually .

We have people with totally over inflated ego's here, we're unhelpful and have little good content. One of the main draws was the friendlessness of this place which has totally go out the window because of MEMBERS.

Big Zee, all I can say is, when you bought this, you had the idea of this being like Sitepoint you should have really looked further into what you was buying, Robson's target audience has always being children and a lot of members are 16-21, the most successful members have a small expertise that they develop into a service which the rest of the community feel is really good when it's not, if people want expert coding they go to somewhere they are experts.

In my opinion, Talkfreelance has NO UNIQUE selling point anymore and that's because of the members not the staff.

TF Sux

04-15-2007, 01:45 PM
hyproVision is offline hyproVision
Expertise:
Software:

hyproVision is on a distinguished road

Old

You've taken the words right out of my mouth Nicely put, I totally agree with everything you've said.

04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
justbrowse is offline justbrowse
Software:

justbrowse is on a distinguished road

Old

oh no.. please no.

04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by justbrowse View Post
oh no.. please no.
Oh Yes. .

04-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Aros is offline Aros
Expertise:
Software:

Aros is on a distinguished road

Old

And yet again here comes another discussion which will result in pi ssed off people and a closed thread. A-whoop-dee-doo-da.

04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Gatt is offline Gatt
Expertise: Design & Development
Software: Photoshop

Gatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Gatt Send a message via Skype™ to Gatt

Old

****ed of people will come here if they choose to be ****ed off, it's not a obligation. And I totally agree with that post.

04-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Techno is offline Techno
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Aros View Post
And yet again here comes another discussion which will result in pi ssed off people and a closed thread. A-whoop-dee-doo-da.
And yet again here comes another worthless post.

Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, let's keep it that way.
Also, just to say, the reason for this post is to try and change the general perception to the problems of Talkfreelance, for the last few months it's totally being aimed at staff. I'm trying to to trigger a response into making the active members contribute more towards both meaningful posts (not just general discussion and marketplace) and have a total change of attitude. .

04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

Well i think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there mate, that's given me some motivation to get down and dirty and help members here at TFL, when i've just sat back and held my knowledge in when really us members can make a difference and i am one for having a pretty big ego but it boils down to nothing, nothing more than anyone here. I admit, i'm not a huge poster or get involved much but it's something i hope to change and i hope we all as members change the way in which TFL is heading.

I hope we can all learn from our mistakes and get off our butts and make a change to TFL and help those who need it the most.

04-15-2007, 02:41 PM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

I really agree with this thread, we all have to get up and do something about things.

If we all take a little extra thought in what we are posting, and we all take a few minutes and think "is this really needed", or "can others learn from this" "will it improve a thread" etc, then the quality of discussion will improve and in turn things around it will start to get better.

This is not a slam to all the people who start threads, BUT i'd really like to see a decrease in threads blaming people or kicking off controversial/touchy subjects time and time again. Freedom of speech is pivotal, but maybe if we ALL grew up a bit and had one thread that stayed open, for people to post mature and constructive comments in, this would be better.

04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I've just taken a week or so off from 'the internet world' so forgive me for not skimming over what happened here recently. I think Techno's post, whilst making some valid points has one, huge, major problem which cannot go unnoticed.

TalkFreelance has nearly 9,500 members. Some active, many not so much so... but all valid participants in 'the community'. To blame "the members" for problems here goes far above and beyond anything that we can call a reasonable accusation. There are a few members, particularly some of the more vociferous folks, who might spoil the broth somewhat but on the whole the member base here is amazingly supportive.

Sure the staff have problems, some members have problems, there are other causes of problems here. Just don't blame "the members" as an entire community, please.

If it were a choice of trying to push those 'noisy' members into a more helpful posting habit, or trying to get more of the general populace here to post more regularly, I know which would have a bigger effect on this site. Those with loud mouths who don't want to contribute to the more 'helpful' topics have no responsibility to do so... let them say what they like, where they like. If you want to boost activity and camaraderie with more "meaningful" posts, then why not recruit the 9,000 or so less active members rather than the dozen or less at the other end of the spectrum?..

Just a thought.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >