Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1880 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

What should I learn ?

Thread title: What should I learn ?
Closed Thread    
10-27-2005, 09:52 PM
eravedesigns is offline eravedesigns
Software:

eravedesigns is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to eravedesigns

Old  What should I learn ?

hello

I would like to start adding member logins to some sites of mine. I would I go about doing this do I need to learn php, how to use mysql?

Please direct me to some tutorials you know of too.

I do not want to use pre-made code i want to learn it and make my own thanks.

10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
hjalmar is offline hjalmar
Expertise:
Software:

hjalmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

i always liked phpfreaks, http://www.phpfreaks.com/

but the main resource ofcourse is www.php.net but you have to start somewhere and not knowing the functions to what you want to do would be hard then

just try to understand what you are doing, dont do it just because thats how you have learned in a tutorial before.

10-27-2005, 10:39 PM
xZaft is offline xZaft
Expertise:
Software:

xZaft is on a distinguished road

Old

Yes, PHP and MySQL are key parts, unless you learn how with flat files, then MySQL is not needed.

Sorry, I know of no where to get any tutorials.

10-28-2005, 04:38 AM
sysblnk is offline sysblnk
Software:

sysblnk is on a distinguished road

Old

Yes PHP/MySQL seems to be the way to go nowadays. It's of course the easiest. If you are planning to do this take a few factors into consideration such as security. A flat file isnt the best idea for the purpose. Searching google will give you multiple tutorials on the subject. Basically you insert the Username/Password into the database then you check that set of information with what was put into your HTML login form. It's much simpler than it sounds.

12-06-2005, 02:51 AM
echoSwe is offline echoSwe
Software:

echoSwe is on a distinguished road

Old

No, you don't have to learn php, specifically.

ASP.Net/MySQL (or any other database) is the way to go nowadays. It's of course not the easiest, but I promise you that once you learn it it'll be more flexible than PHP because of the structure of .Net - highly object orientated and extendable.
So for a login you write something along the lines of

<asp:login ID="Login1" runat="server" createuserurl="CreateUser.aspx" createusertext="Create a New Account" />

and it renders a complete login-control for you.

For the sign-up you just write
<asp:CreateUserWizard ID="CreateUserWizard1" runat="server" continuedestinationpageurl="Home.aspx"/>

but of course you'll have to know some programming too, in order to make it work the way u want.

Find nice tutorials at http://66.129.71.130/QuickStartv20/default.aspx

12-06-2005, 05:15 AM
expos1994 is offline expos1994
Expertise:
Software:

expos1994 is on a distinguished road

Old

Well you'll have to make a choice as to what language you want to use.

ASP is a microsoft language. If you want to learn it and use it, then you could head in that direction. I tend to avoid MS stuff if at all possible. That being said I have created my fair share of MS Visual Basic apps at work and at home when I need a quick Windows solution.
I tend to use PHP because it is open source and not tied to any large corporations. I don't like the idea of the internet being tied to Microsoft.

But you'll have to decide what suits you. I'm sure a login script can be written with any language that supports cookies and/or sessions.

As far as learning the ropes it would be a bonus if you have any kind of previous programming experience. PHP's syntax is a lot like C. ASP's syntax is a lot like Visual Basic. A basic knowledge of loops, file I/O, accessing databases, using variables, etc. will come in handy.

When I first learned PHP I went out and got PHP in easy steps. (Barnes and Noble usually has a big assortment of "In Easy Steps" books). They only cost $10.00. They walk you through the basics. The PHP book has a section on cookies/sessions and storing user information in a MySQL table. It is by no means a definitive PHP reference, but it'll get you started on the the cheap.

They probably have ASP in easy steps, CGI in easy steps and whatever else in easy steps.

I'd say just read up on the various web programming languages, pick one that's right for you, and start reading up on it.

12-07-2005, 06:06 AM
echoSwe is offline echoSwe
Software:

echoSwe is on a distinguished road

Old

I wouldn't recommend learning ASP (Classic ASP/ASP 3.0) because it's old and I hate the visual basic-script syntax (it's really ugly)
ASP.Net on the other hand is, as I showed in my previous post rather beatifully put together. The C# syntax, is obviously close to C++, but with better memory management, and 2.0 also has support for interesting things such as recursive functions.

I might also add that C# is a standardized open language. Sure, it's tied to Microsoft, but truthfully, here they've done something really good. They obviously have different development teams, working on different products.

I'd recommend this book; it goes through the hows and whys of creating a website with ASP.Net and you can choose what language you want to use. No code editor required either.
http://www.sitepoint.com/books/aspnet1/
The only drawback in this book is that they use tables for layout, but the main content is still applicable to any type of html design.

Closed Thread