Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1192 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Can my website be manipulated for eCommerce?

Thread title: Can my website be manipulated for eCommerce?
08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
spudrow is offline spudrow
Software:

spudrow is on a distinguished road

Old  Can my website be manipulated for eCommerce?

(I apologize is this is the wrong area for this posting, please move if necessary)

Master Audio Visuals

Dismiss the minor flaws in some of the site functions, we've got a guy that's going to be looking into it. Basically, we'd like to know if it's possible to actually put up a little store-front on our website.

I know there are templates out there specifically designed for such a thing but wasn't sure if you could ultimately code in eCommerce capabilities into an already-designed website. We had one of our workers do a Photoshop rendering of how we envisioned the potential layout would be; this is it. Not clue if it's even possible or not, that's why we're here asking the experts.

Adding buttons and information shouldn't be too difficult (right?), I just want to make sure the eCommerce software (recommendations, anyone?) will cooperate with the current design OR if we should look into a new eComm-capable website design/add-on? Thanks in advance!

08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

Old

First of all, anything is possible!

There are eCommerce CMS' (Content Management Systems) out there that you can use for your website and your current design. The CMS comes with a default template if you'd like to use that, or you could integrate it with your current design.

I believe one of the more popular eCommerce CMS' out there is called Magento. The website for it is http://www.magentocommerce.com/ .

08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
spudrow is offline spudrow
Software:

spudrow is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks, Apple. We'll definitely look into Magneto. So we will need a software like this, correct? I've heard of others (i.e. Zen Cart, VirtueCart, etc) are those all basically the same thing, just software companies that make eComm possible?

Assuming we go through with this, any idea how "difficult" such integration will be? The new Marketing Director is going to be in-charge of creating and maintaining the store-front but he's not exactly a Web Development expert, you understand. He says he's dabbled in DreamWeaver and other related applications but is by no means fluent. Are these software's and eCommerce productions possibly feasible for someone with little-to-no experience? Thanks so much!

08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

Old

I've always been under the impression that "Software" was something you installed on your PC and website applications were called 'Scripts", but I could be mistaken.

I don't really know anything about eCommerce scripts since I have never ran a website like that myself, but you should Google them and read up on the features of them all to see which one would best suit your website.

Integrating an existing website with a script is never an easy task, especially for a rookie. You could probably find someone on these forums with experience in integration with a particular script. If not I'm sure there are coders who would be willing to try.

08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
mike.ohara is offline mike.ohara
Expertise: Design, SEO, Development
Software: Notepad++, Adobe, ZenCoder

mike.ohara is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to mike.ohara Send a message via Skype™ to mike.ohara

Old

Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I've always been under the impression that "Software" was something you installed on your PC and website applications were called 'Scripts", but I could be mistaken.
Yes and no. Simple little widgets like js includes and small stuff is generally known as scripts... I would call full blown apps like Magento and whatnot either Web Apps, or Software.

Originally Posted by spudrow View Post
Thanks, Apple. We'll definitely look into Magneto. So we will need a software like this, correct? I've heard of others (i.e. Zen Cart, VirtueCart, etc) are those all basically the same thing, just software companies that make eComm possible?
Magento, although amazingly awesome, is extremely complex.. and in many ways is akin to swatting a mosquito with a howitzer.

You really need to take a good hard look at your operations and determin what level of ecommerce you need. if you are only looking at doing small scale sales, with limited numbers of options look at a more simplistic cart solution.. something as simple as http://www.e-junkie.com/ might work, or if you need something abit more, look at something like Zen-Cart, or oscommerce.

Something like Magento is really meant for pretty big league stuff.. a huge amount of features built in, massive customize ability, but a learning curve to match.

not so say the others don't require some skill, and learning, but there are more simple solutions, based on need.

Good luck.

08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
mike.ohara is offline mike.ohara
Expertise: Design, SEO, Development
Software: Notepad++, Adobe, ZenCoder

mike.ohara is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to mike.ohara Send a message via Skype™ to mike.ohara

Old

I should also say, that other than just an ecommerce software package there are certain things you need to take into account.

You need to think about how you are going to reconcile your physical inventory with your online store's inventory. - if you are going to do it manually, or tie something into what you use now to manage inventory, etc.. (then again if you are just going small scale you can work around this pretty handily)

You will need a Merchant account to handle the transactions, for small scale you may want to start with Paypal, but for serious stuff, get a full blown Merchant account from a reputable provider, and keep paypal as a backup.

You need also to consider security. you will need an SSL certification (between $99 and $299 a year). this will help encrypt data going between a user's browser and the store, so that their details cant be sniffed by malicious users (credit card details, etc).

If you are truley serious about getting onboard the e-comm bandwagon, you really need to read up on the PCI-DSS security standards, and choose a software package that complies with those provisions (Magento does, I don't know about the others)

There is alot to think about. More than just tossing some software on a webhost, and watching the money roll in.

Thanked by:
Gaz (08-27-2010)
08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

Regarding software, if you wanted to have a small e commerce site I'd go with wordpress. There are some plugins out there which you can use to set up your e commerce site.

For example, a quick search for wordpress e commerce brought these results:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/eshop/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-e-commerce/
http://speckyboy.com/2008/10/23/10-p...for-wordpress/
http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/

Do ask if you need any more help

08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
cableguy is offline cableguy
Software:

cableguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

10-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Martin W is offline Martin W
Expertise: design
Software: Photoshop

Martin W is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi everybody,
To my opinion OsCommerce is pretty easy to set up and installed, but if you need to customize it, it can be really tough.
I've been using os Commerce for more than a year. It doesn't has a lot of features, but if you want to expand its functionality it is better to use some additional software. You can find a lot of them in internet. I bought a Store Manager for osCommerce and it works good for me!