Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1980 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Car Titling

Thread title: Car Titling
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Car Titling

Okay, I've been preparing the pre-order for the 2010 Camaro. Few questions if anyone here knows anything about titling.

1.) I was told I can NOT have the car in my name being under that age of 18 (although the car will be paid in full, not financed.)

2.) If bought in another state, I can register it in my state, correct? (Simply put it has to be pre-ordered else where..)

Any help would be great.

02-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

1. Definitely be a secondary driver if at all possible, your insurance will be murder otherwise. Talk with your insurance agent about that.

2. It should not be a problem, your states DMV would probably be a good place for a certain answer on that.

02-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Garrett is offline Garrett
Software:

Garrett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garrett

Old

Originally Posted by Vizon View Post
Okay, I've been preparing the pre-order for the 2010 Camaro. Few questions if anyone here knows anything about titling.

1.) I was told I can NOT have the car in my name being under that age of 18 (although the car will be paid in full, not financed.)

2.) If bought in another state, I can register it in my state, correct? (Simply put it has to be pre-ordered else where..)

Any help would be great.
Simple Google Search would suffice
http://www.google.com/search?q=car+titling

First Result
http://www.dmv.org/title-transfers.php

--

Although, when you buy the car, as you are under 18 and have no credit, they won't sell it to you. So when you initially buy it, it has to be under someone else's name (parent/co-signer). Your parents can't make you the owner either, but they can transfer it to you when you turn 18.

02-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

1.) I get mixed up answers. Yes or No but I have heard them both.

2.) I am sure this can be done, just curious if there are extra fee's? Will have to talk with the BMV and dealer out here. Thanks for the suggestion VI (or VG haha )

Edit:

Garrett, like I said I have heard both sides. Read the thread, I will be paying for the car in full and they already said they would sell to me. However, the dealer was unsure if he could title it in my name.

http://www.dmv.org/in-indiana/title-transfers.php has nothing about age in the state of Indiana.

02-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Garret, if a minor pays in full upfront there is no legal problem with it. Under US law, if a minor enters a contract, he can pull out at any time he wishes (until a certain amount of time after he is 18), thus making a financing contract useless. But a basic sale is something they could do.

02-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
Garret, if a minor pays in full upfront there is no legal problem with it. Under US law, if a minor enters a contract, he can pull out at any time he wishes (until a certain amount of time after he is 18), thus making a financing contract useless. But a basic sale is something they could do.
Although that makes sense, when I tried to do the same I got shot down. Maybe I had a bad salesman, I was only speaking as what I was told by them.

@Vizon, that is why I was saying your parents will end up being the title is all I was trying to say. I am 99% sure (not going to state it as a fact again), that no one under 18 can be the owner (legally) of the car.

02-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Although that makes sense, when I tried to do the same I got shot down. Maybe I had a bad salesman, I was only speaking as what I was told by them.

@Vizon, that is why I was saying your parents will end up being the title is all I was trying to say. I am 99% sure (not going to state it as a fact again), that no one under 18 can be the owner (legally) of the car.
Actually, I believe I can own the vehicle on a parent sign off. I just read a thread about it else where. So, I've heard a few different cases - each being different by state.

My situation is different than yours though, I am paying upfront not financing the vehicle.

02-17-2009, 04:34 AM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Does anyone else hate people who say "a simple google search..."

Didn't you just get a new mustang dude?

02-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Vizon View Post
Actually, I believe I can own the vehicle on a parent sign off. I just read a thread about it else where. So, I've heard a few different cases - each being different by state.

My situation is different than yours though, I am paying upfront not financing the vehicle.
I understand, but I tried to do the same as what you are doing, but they wouldn't let me, partly because they said I needed credit to even think about purchasing it at all. So I had to go under my fathers name.

@KewL, I am somewhat of a hypocrite there, as I think it's stupid when people post the Google links as well,

02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

@KewL, Yes, but I have my reasoning for this one.

@Garrett, You don't need credit to think about purchasing a car, that's a load they sold you.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >