Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2528 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

What am I doing wrong? (n00b -.-'')

Thread title: What am I doing wrong? (n00b -.-'')
Closed Thread    
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
nuPixel.net is offline nuPixel.net
Software:

nuPixel.net is on a distinguished road

Old  What am I doing wrong? (n00b -.-'')

I'm currently working on a website and it's the first time I'm trying to do it in CSS.

Here is the page:
» www.nupixel.net/files/ux-move.com/move.php

CSS file:
» www.nupixel.net/files/ux-move.com/stylesheet.css

In firefox:

The page displays fine but the footer goes missing sometimes if you click the same link more than once :\

In internet exploder:
Huge gaps under the top left logo, above the navigation, between the content and right panel, and the footer is smaller than specified..

Can some please have a quick look through (it's short) and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciate

Thanks,
Gee.

01-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Feefer is offline Feefer
Expertise:
Software:

Feefer is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Feefer Send a message via MSN to Feefer Send a message via Yahoo to Feefer

Old

Welcome to CSS!

Its an exciting and unpredicable world of crazy IE messups and little tiny mistakes driving you nuts.

I will throw in my note that it actually seems to have no problems in Safari.

01-18-2008, 08:40 AM
George the Flea is offline George the Flea
Expertise:
Software:

George the Flea is on a distinguished road

Old

- Don't put a height on container. There's no need. If you want a min-height of 20, use this code:
HTML Code:
min-height: 20px;
height: auto !important;
height: 20px;
IE 6 treats height like it was min-height (note: it does not treat width like this!), and ignores the !important keyword. Other modern browsers understand min-height and !important, so they don't screw up.

- Remove margin: auto; from your #container. It probably isn't messing with you, but it's completely redundant.

- You're mixing ems and px sizing with line-height versus font-size. Why?

- In #features height: 100% is worthless, and could well be part of what's messing with you. Relative CSS heights never work the way you'd expect/hope. Often the trick to getting a sidebar to look like it's 100% of the available height is to cheat (this only works with fixed width): make a background image 1px tall of your main content and sidebar backgrounds, and then assign it to a wrapper div (like container). As long as you defined backgrounds in the header and footer it will look like the sidebar and content grow and shrink based off one another, when actually the divs end far before the background does.

I haven't looked at the site in Firefox or IE (use Safari, as well, and debugging takes time). Try using the IE 7 developer toolbar, Xray, and background colors/borders to determine where elements are actually falling in the page. In Firefox, download Firebug.

Good luck!

01-26-2008, 01:16 PM
nuPixel.net is offline nuPixel.net
Software:

nuPixel.net is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Feefer View Post
Welcome to CSS!

Its an exciting and unpredicable world of crazy IE messups and little tiny mistakes driving you nuts.

I will throw in my note that it actually seems to have no problems in Safari.

Thanks for checking Feefer

@ George The Flea:
Thanks a lot for your advice! I managed to get most of the template fixed, and used your 1px background trick too

I just have one more problem, the navigation (#navigation) disappears in Internet Explorer! It seems to just hide underneath the following div (#middle) :S Any idea why this could be? I've updated the links above with my latest files.

Thanks!
Gee.

02-06-2008, 03:37 AM
George the Flea is offline George the Flea
Expertise:
Software:

George the Flea is on a distinguished road

Old

Sorry for taking so long to respond! Been busy and forgot to check TalkFreelance.

I haven't tested in IE (Parallels takes forever to boot up), but floating the #navigation ul left might be messing with you. Since UL is a block level element, if you remove the float you can remove the width, too (it'll automatically fill 100%).

I'd also remove the float: left and width: 100% from #middle, too, actually. Since it's 100% width, there's really no need to float it, and if you don't float it you can add clear: both to make sure that it falls underneath the navigation elements.

Closed Thread