Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1948 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

What should I do?

Thread title: What should I do?
Closed Thread    
11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Feren6 is offline Feren6
Expertise:
Software:

Feren6 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Feren6

Old  What should I do?

Hey all,

I don't know if any of you remember me around here -- I haven't visited this site in a while. Anyways, there was something crossing my mind today. My webdesign skills aren't bad, but they are limited as far as not being able to accomplish what I would like to accomplish (such as complex PHP scripts, great designs, etc..it is all mediocre, not amazing). Of course many people are in the same position I am, but as a freelance artist I would have to specialize in many subjects, not just one. I am also loving the business side of things -- marketing, support kinds of things, just managing in general. Should I help run a webdesign business with a friend (who would be doing the designing) and me doing most of the XHTML/CSS work instead of being my own freelance designer? I mean, I think its worth a try I just wanted your opinions on it.

Thanks a lot guys, I hope i made my point clear (tell me if i didn't )

Feren6

11-20-2006, 10:40 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Yes it'd probably be a good idea providing you stick with it and don't expect a huge flow of constant clients, to begin with anyway. I'd also try and target local clients rather than internet based ones.

11-22-2006, 03:56 AM
JonnyM is offline JonnyM
Expertise:
Software:

JonnyM is on a distinguished road

Old

Well looking at your age, you are still young enough to make a few suitable subject choices in your education that will extremely benefit you're freelance career.

When I was a little younger I also came to the same conclusion you have. I can design, I can code, but only to a mediocre level and I didn't feel that I could do any better as I just did not have the creative flare that top designers have. So I sat back and looked at the aspects of the industry I did like and for me like yourself it was the business side that I enjoyed.

So I decided to focus on that. I read up on and studied on every aspect of running a webdesign business that I could and I became a project manager so to speak. Although qualifications are often sought after they are not required.

There are far too many designers out there who are limited by their own misdoings, limited by the way they handle their clients, projects, accounts, legal issues and so on. Most of them take a little convincing at first but then shortly realise that by employing something to look after the business side of things they can put their all into bringing the clients dreams to life.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if it's the business side of webdesign and freelance that you enjoy, then you would be more motivated if that was all you had to focus on. It's worth looking into and giving a go and if you need any help or advice don't hesitate to give me a PM or email me.

Regards.

11-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Feren6 is offline Feren6
Expertise:
Software:

Old

JonnyM,

Thank for so much for your feedback! I think it is cool that you are into the same aspects that I am! Basically I did what you said -- research how to run the business side of things. I picked up a book called the Small Business Bible which is very useful in things, but it isn't very internet based..it's more for small businesses like a flower shop or something like that. What are some good resources I can look up so I can develop my skills..My goal is by my Senior year in high school (2 years from now), that I will have a running business !

Thank you so much!

11-23-2006, 01:56 AM
JonnyM is offline JonnyM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Well all the resources I used to kickstart my plans were all UK based as that was where I was living at the time. Now I have to re-learn everything to suit Australian laws, but they are roughly the same.

I will do some browsing later on and report back here with some useful resources and information at your disposal.

Glad I could help,

Regards.

11-23-2006, 06:02 AM
JonnyM is offline JonnyM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Well I was searching round for some articles or information that you could use and or download but it seemed rather pointless as I didn't know exactly what sort of business you want.

However, I will go over very briefly what I needed to learn and become aware of before I could undergo duties as a project manager. Hopefully that will give you some idea of specific things you need to read up about.

If it is project management you wish to proceed with then the best way of hitting the ground running is by looking at what you were doing as a simple web designer. Look at all the stages you had to go through that involved clients, or people out side of the company, forms and so on.

What I bring to the table first and foremost is my ability to manage clients and interact with them in a way that will promote the business I am working for. I know client management is standard for a project manager but it is something I am often asked, and usually offer to do. So you are going to have to read up on how to represent yourself, and the company you are working for in a professional manner. Sales techniques is something that will be very important for you, especially if you will be meeting clients face to face, you need to sell them the designers ideas and concepts.
You need to be fast talking, clear, witty and confident or they will not be impressed.

Once you've got the client it is mostly interaction and form work from there, you will have to draft up proposals, contracts, privacy agreements and any further documentation for the client, and plan for the development team. Again traditionally project managers do not usually interact with clients, but since a project manager is paid to know every last thing about the project, it only makes sense that they interact with the people who are paying for it.
So you will need to learn how to draft up many different types of forms businesses use, as well as the legal issues behind each form. You will also need to learn why they are important, its no good asking your client to sign a contract if you can't tell him why its important. Basic things, but it is something you could get stuck on if confronted.

Once the project is underway I usually just convey information from the developers to the clients, it will be your job to keep up to date on the changes in the project. A little background information in the code of choice doesn't always hurt. For example I can always tell a project is nearing completion or is far off it by looking at the code. You then have to relay all of this back to the client in a non-jargon manner. But remember if they ask you for a deadline, just refer them back to the contract where it should be stated. You can not predict how long the developers are going to take and they are the ones bound by the contract not you.

After completion my job usually isn't finished, I usually handle payment and processing, receipts, invoices, tax, accounts etc. etc.

So my advice to you is if you want to be successful then you need to be able to multi-task. You need to a project and customer relationship manager all rolled into one, with background information in businesses and accounting and law, not to mention web development.

Now by far the best way to learn is by taking yourself down to your local bookstore or library and getting several books that almost require a forklift to carry, and spend the next few weeks or months reading every single last character in them. If you want to do it a quicker, and eventually less effective way then you can read articles on the internet. But a three page article on how to effectively sell your self vs a 700 page book on it, well, which one do you think is more in-depth?

Hope I helped and didn't confuse things even more, once again if you require any assistance don't hesitate to ask and good luck with whatever it is that you choose to persue!

Regards.

P.S. Please disregard any mistakes, I was quite rushed when writing this.

11-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Feren6 is offline Feren6
Expertise:
Software:

Old

JonnyM,

Once again I thank you so very much! Thank you for putting your time to write something very beneficial to me. That is what I plan on doing -- being a project manager like you said, mostly (or what I would want to do) web related things. I will research for good business books and buy them off of Amazon or visit my local library. Thank you very much!

Max

Closed Thread