Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1928 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

I am new and wanna jump right into the fire...

Thread title: I am new and wanna jump right into the fire...
10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
dlopez916 is offline dlopez916
Expertise: CSS, HTML, Flash, Photoshop
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Frefox

dlopez916 is on a distinguished road

Old  I am new and wanna jump right into the fire...

Ok, I have some web publishing exp as I have created two websites (free of charge) for two different companies. But I am still learning. I am confident in myself, and I would love to go out and try to attain new clients to attempt to make some money. My hometown is very rural, and I would have an advantage as being one of the only web publishers in the area for all the local small business'. How should I do this, and should I just patiently wait until I build up my knowledge....

10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
andr92 is offline andr92
Software:

andr92 is on a distinguished road

Old

I think the most valuable knowledge you may have is that one connected with your (plus not yours ) experience,so you'd better try your best to gain it

10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
developer_x is offline developer_x
Expertise:
Software:

developer_x is on a distinguished road

Old

I think making two websites enough of good starting experience (although it depends on what tools you used, and what kind of features were there in the website... if you like you can send me the URLs or the site details via PM or here).

You should start meeting up various businesses, listen to their problem, present solutions and try to win clients. You will gain more real experience while working on real projects. Always start by telling them the benefits they may gain from having a website and what huge 24x7x365 advertising medium they are missing and their such and such competitor is using.

This is the age of outsourcing, co-sourcing, near-sourcing. Even if you or the client thinks of a special feature that you can't do all by yourself but would be good for his website (and more importantly his business), tell him flatly that you can do it but you would need to partner with someone to do it for them in a more better, reliable, faster manner.

If I am a client who is told the above by a developer, I would like him for his honesty, and also for the fact that he has the solution to things that might be out of his scope of knowledge and that he has the confidence to tell me so right away...

Hope that helped.

10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
developer_x is offline developer_x
Expertise:
Software:

developer_x is on a distinguished road

Old

Also when you (as you also said it yourself) 'jump right into the fire' (with some intial planning of course), you will enjoy it. I remember when I started web development years back, and had got a couple of projects (unexpectedly) I was doing developoment/design even in dreams. My friends would tell me what programing language I was speaking while being asleep.
It was so much fun..

10-30-2009, 04:04 AM
thepixel is offline thepixel
Expertise:
Software:

thepixel is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to thepixel Send a message via MSN to thepixel Send a message via Skype™ to thepixel

Old

Alot depends on your skills and knowledge so far. Do you feel you have a solid understand of Web Standards (Web 2.0) and other elements? If you say yes, I would strongly suggest purchasing a .com and building your portfolio. Having an online portfolio is and easy and cost effective way to show potential clients your past work experience.

Always have backup plan, regardless of how 'great' you think you are. Being a freelance can be extremely difficult. I wish you all the best!

12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Ashtray is offline Ashtray
Software:

Ashtray is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Ashtray

Old

Originally Posted by thepixel View Post
Alot depends on your skills and knowledge so far. Do you feel you have a solid understand of Web Standards (Web 2.0) and other elements?
web 2.0 is an actual web standard now and not just a theoretical term?

12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
santa is offline santa
Expertise: Design, HTML
Software: Espresso, Photoshop, Mail.app

santa is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to santa Send a message via AIM to santa Send a message via MSN to santa Send a message via Yahoo to santa Send a message via Skype™ to santa

Old

The way I'd go around it is to go to a client, and offer to build them a website; when they ask for a price, you tell them that they can pay what they think it's worth -- this way's the best, because more than not, the client has no idea how much they should pay for a site, and will pay more than what you would have quoted them, and if it's high-quality, they'll be pleased about their site, and refer you on to other clients.

And no, Ashtray, Web 2.0 is a term used to define the "social" aspects of websites, such as FriendFeed (or Facebook), and Flickr, and Youtube.

12-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Ashtray is offline Ashtray
Software:

Ashtray is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Ashtray

Old

Originally Posted by twincircuits View Post
The way I'd go around it is to go to a client, and offer to build them a website; when they ask for a price, you tell them that they can pay what they think it's worth -- this way's the best, because more than not, the client has no idea how much they should pay for a site, and will pay more than what you would have quoted them, and if it's high-quality, they'll be pleased about their site, and refer you on to other clients.

And no, Ashtray, Web 2.0 is a term used to define the "social" aspects of websites, such as FriendFeed (or Facebook), and Flickr, and Youtube.
^yeah i was being cautiously sarcastic in case it turned out he knew more than me and was going to bring up the DOM or something.

Anyways, interesting approach to business, thanks.

01-04-2010, 02:54 AM
dlopez916 is offline dlopez916
Expertise: CSS, HTML, Flash, Photoshop
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Frefox

dlopez916 is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for the tips and ideas people. Keep em coming, I'm sure this benefits more than just me...