Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1874 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

Rate the portfolio?

Thread title: Rate the portfolio?
Closed Thread    
04-06-2007, 08:44 PM
rydesigner is offline rydesigner
Software:

rydesigner is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rydesigner Send a message via Yahoo to rydesigner

Old  Rate the portfolio?

(PORTFOLIO UPDATED ON 4/6/07 AT 8:30PM)

http://www.freewebs.com/nupsguild/A.htm

This is a work in progress and is not even close to being completed, I just wanted some fresh ideas or some critiques on what I can do better. Anyone?

04-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

you lose all credit for the freewebs.com part :P

04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

Every piece of text on that page uses a different font. Try and keep to 1-2 fonts and a couple of different sizes. Everything has AA on also, rid yourself of that and it'll be much cleaner.

I can't comment too much on the design until you've sorted your type out, but so far so good. Good luck.

04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Software:

Old

Well the freewebs isn't my website, it is just a testing place for my future website.

Thanks stillt, what do you mean by AA?

04-06-2007, 11:58 PM
DavidS is offline DavidS
Expertise:
Software:

DavidS is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to DavidS

Old

AA is commonly known as anti-aliasing; it is used to smooth out the text but often causes it to be blurred around the edges. Turning AA off would result in a crisper more readable text.

04-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Software:

Old

Ok, thank you DavidS.

04-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah, for body text, turn AA off. If you plan on using images for titles (which you probably are) then you will probably want to leave it on for those. For the main body text, maybe use a slightly larger font, and add some line spacing to increase the readability further.

04-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Software:

Old

Thanks joe.

04-07-2007, 10:51 PM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

Yea, AA cant be coded as such, so anything formatted as text in html will lose all the AA smoothness it had. (so its pointless putting it there to start with unless the text is part of an image).

04-08-2007, 02:28 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

it doesn't really matter. in fact it's better to try sizing with both aa on and off, for when viewers have smoothtype turned on (i don't even know how to turn it off in mac osx). some things will look readable with clear type, but with aa, it becomes much harder.

as for the layout, it's tacky in style. the font faces (mostly the script type) and the filters on them are very ameture. it really reminds me of the garbage word art i saw people using in highschool. the script type face is a very 'young', playful font. it's really optimal for things that aren't meant to be taken with a serious attitude, like kids illustration books and the like. here you've used them in a semi serious business driven environment and the attitudes clash. as for the giant strokes/shadows on the titles, imo they take them from bold, powerful titles and cheapen them into more cartoony stuff like the fat script font.

i also don't like your menu. the idea i neat, but it doesn't look like the concept is developed enough. try developing them further then just rectangles. design them to look like those thin bookmark stickies you use for giant textbooks. it gives you more of a "reason" to make the menu like that. i can't tell if it's filters on the font, or the rectangle, but either way, get rid of them. a subtle shadow on the tab to give the layout some depth is cool, but leave the text plan for sure, and keep the typeface moderately professional. don't stick to the same Arial/Verdana type stuff, but keep that kind of credible image in mind. a lot of bad designs are bad, because the designer tried too hard to make it good. good design just happens if you've got it.

the header is something that is starting to bother me. i have no idea what the image is. the left looks like it's on fire, and the right looks like some kind of ice cave/stalagmite. a web site is digital branding. you're calling yourself dashboard designs - this is where you present the reasoning in a visual form. there's absolutely no connection between dashboard and fire. it also looks like there's a glow on it - that or it's bad cropping around the menu and the shadow isn't filling out properly. the url in the header is borderline redundant. if they're at your web site, they can get the url from the address bar if they got there by an external "click here" kind of link. otherwise, they should already know it. right now it feels like random placement and doesn't serve much of a purpose.

generally serif fonts are easier to read because the serifs guide the reader's eye, but they become really ugly when they're not smoothed out. for screen, it's better to use sans-serif fonts because there's less to "break" when you have no aa.

for type faces, you should pick one for the logo / rendered type that still has a seriousness to it (the script and the filters right now are way too playful) and for the content, use something like arial/verdana. and stick to just those tpe faces and use varying weights/sizes/colours to accent them.

also, if you put a shadow on the body, make sure it everywhere. shadows don't just show on the right/left of things.

Closed Thread