Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1858 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Non-Disclosure Agreements

Thread title: Non-Disclosure Agreements
07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
BlaineSch is offline BlaineSch
Expertise: Web Applications
Software: Notepad++

BlaineSch is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BlaineSch Send a message via MSN to BlaineSch Send a message via Yahoo to BlaineSch Send a message via Skype™ to BlaineSch

Old  Non-Disclosure Agreements

So, I've been talking with a few potential clients, all hesitate to hire me because my portfolio is small, but then all mention I would be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

How are you suppose to build a portfolio if this keeps happening? I know there is probably a rule for it, but it's not always lined out in the agreement, but is there a certain amount of changes I can do to the software to make it available for demo? Or would I have to completely recreate this on my own time without use of his source?

I find this somewhat annoying.

Also, when did the old tf theme get deleted? I knew we could switch before, but now I can't even switch back to it, I miss that theme. (Referring to the original blue/green one)

07-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

When they pay for the project you have no claim to the code unless you made a reservation for it in the contract (I always reserve the right to retain a copy for demonstration purposes). Perhaps you could arrange to do the same as long as the client name is taken out. This would have to be drawn out in future contracts and would not apply to anything you have already signed. Also, charge more for NDA work since you cant take credit for the work.

The old skin went away when we upgraded the forum earlier this year. The old skin was never ported over like this one was. I too miss it, but we will be getting an entirely new one soon enough.

07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I'm the first person to admit I know nothing about the confidentiality/non-disclosure conventions in programming, but here are some workarounds that people use in the professions I do know:

1. As Village Genius states above, add a statement into the contract that you have permission to use a version for demonstration purposes.
2. Include in your contract that the non-disclosure condition expires after X date.
3. Spell out in the contract what the non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement includes and doesn't include.
4. Ask the client if s/he is willing to provide a testimonial or reference, in lieu of permission. Often if you present this as an alternative to (1) the availability of a version suddenly becomes more attractive.