View Single Post
04-03-2005, 06:33 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by 308gv
I don't mind the critique actually. I wouldn't have done the site that way either. There are times when you delegate, can't do it all yourself. The purpose of that site is not to get more business, we get all the referrals we need based on solid results in what we do focus on. (There are other reasons for the site's existence that have nothing to do with this conversation...).
And no, we are not a design company, it is as I said a tiny sideline. Our focus is Facilities and Trade Show Management (Pat) and IS and Software management projects (myself) with occasional subcontracts for other people we need.

Yes, you obviously are a graphic/web designer but then you are also one of the few on that thread to actually have real work out there? Your work doesn't seem to be as similar or cluttered as much of what is out there. It is also mostly intuitive to the user. Everything underneath is tables though, I thought that CSS was the up and coming means of layout?

The majority seem to be teenagers with lots of enthusiasm and energy but not much experience or discipline yet. This is of course the benefit of youth. This will change once they have obligations to temper what they want to do with what needs to be accomplished. Enjoy it while you can, reflect on that later to get energy back :-) This is how I keep mentally young, I wrote my first program (1965) probably before many of their parents were born.

For the BIS site we did count uniques as well as raw hits, with actual show attendance increases traced back in large part to web presence (the demographics of attendees was greatly expanded outside the GTA area). It is the $ result that the customer wanted and received.

The car, well I wanted a Ferrari since 1960's, my 1968 year book entry said Goal: to own a Ferrari, Likely: to drive a Mini. I did both ('61 Mini Cooper in the 60's, now a GT4). I earned my money with strong accomplishments in hardware design, sw architecture, design and implementation and project management skills. I still tinker with HW design. My recents contracts are to get groups out of spreadsheet hell by implementing database and Excel integrated tools using VBA and OWC.

Having said all the above, this thread will spark a redo of the MindTree site :-) so thanks for that 'push'. Just don't expect roll overs, Flash and other bells'n'whistles that don't add value for what we need.
Ahh - I didn't realise you were into so much and that the site was just a sideline I know someone that went to one of your shows (that's how I first happened upon your site) and he said it was good

As for my designs, everything you see there is at least a year old apart from www.contemplate.us - having been designing Web sites professionally since 1997 I got stuck in the process of "HTML Terrorism" - tables for layout and disorganized code. I only started switching to CSS layout 5 or 6 months ago so it's not until my next major project is released (still about 2 weeks from public release) that a full example of my CSS/XHTML coding/design will be viewable. Contemplate.us is all CSS layout but it's pretty simple. I also used CSS layout for yournewdesigner.com but I was just beginning and the coding is horrible and ugly. I also designed one other CSS layout site for a client and the code is lovely but the design, (directed by the client), is not so lovely so it's one that I'll not be putting my name to.

Many congrats on getting the dream car I too aim to own a Ferrari one day... I've already owned about 5 minis but never a cooper - 1275 GT was my best one.

Let me know if you'd like a quote for a clean professional re-design of Mindtree

Best of luck with your multiple ventures.