View Single Post
04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
JulesR is offline JulesR
Software:

JulesR is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by jordanriane View Post
I don't need to read anything; I was with Dreamhost for over a year, and never experienced anything outside of standard maintainance and/or complete power loss (aka when they lost power.) Hell, I'd have stayed with them, but I couldn't justify spending money on their services, when I had my own servers.
And what does this prove? Nothing except that you didn't have a negative experience with Dreamhost. We're talking about overselling here, and there's a mass of information online about it. Given how Dreamhost probably have in excess of hundreds of servers, just because you individually didn't experience a problem is irrelevant.

They oversell, it's a fact. Who really wants to play the server lotto to get the hosting they pay for?

With all due respect? Give me a break. You're insulting me--there is no respect in that at all.
Sorry if you felt I was insulting , but that wasn't my intention at all. It's hard to use the term "ignorance/ignorant" correctly without sounding insulting. I assure you, though, I meant it in accordance with your lack of knowledge about the subject matter.

Wow, so you googled "Dreamhost sucks" and you got a lot of results. Okay, well, how about "Mediatemple sucks," "layered tech sucks," I'm sure you'll get a lot of results there as well--what does it prove? That clients are fickle, and will blog about any negative aspect of a company. Let's also do Best Buy, Dell, and Circuit City while we're at it. Let's use the Google Results to prove a point!
Now you're changing the subject point completely. I'm not talking about bad customer service, or the individual bad experiences people have, I'm talking about overselling. Keep on track here, please.

If you observe most of the posts whilst searching for "dreamhost sucks" you will, and quite clearly I might add, see that most of the experiences stem from being stored on an oversold server. Most of them even have the facts to prove it. But you don't want to read them, do you?

Googling dreamhost sucks is another moot point. That has nothing to do with their business method, and how they obtain their clients. Nowhere did I say that this is the norm. I simply stated that their model works for them, and they make money off of it. If the overselling model didn't work--they wouldn't keep doing it! It's as simple as that.
It's not a moot point at all.

The "model" only works if they obtain clients that barely utilise their hosting, and that is the entire theory behind overselling - as I outlined in my original post. Imagine a blog with perhaps 10 unique visitors a day - these customers are their bread and butter, and the ideal source of revenue. As soon as you attempt to operate any significantly busy site with them, you'll see just how far and negative overselling can be.

Just because they make money, doesn't mean it "works".