Thread: Feedback
View Single Post
12-05-2012, 04:38 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

i'm probably going to come off as a dick, but ... c'est la vie. it's going to get you thinking again.

i clicked the link and instantly closed it because i thought it loaded a spam/parked domain page. i checked the post dates and realized it wasn't old, these were recent posts and that's actually what the design (or lack-there-of) looks like. i went back, and i'm kinda upset.

i have 2 big beefs:

1. you asked for serious feedback and got everything but. you got lip service, which is useless.

clean, simple, professional... are you guys high? not even taking into account name culture shock'd, how do any of those words associate with hip-hop?

2. honestly, i'd say you have a bad design, but you don't really have one here. you have a wordpress theme.

you got a name like culture shock'd, and you have the most culture-less theme ever. i grew up with rap/hip-hop in the 90's, i'm sure real hip-hop hasn't changed, but even the main stream stuff was about the streets. it was rough, it was tough, it was in your face, it was the opposite of simple, clean & professional.

you're on the right track with the grafitti, but ditch the shadows, ditch the stupid plastic gradients and bevels, ditch brush script. get it rough, get it dirty, get it in my face.

check out some hip hop album covers and translate that to a usable UI:

[img]http://www.soultravelmultimedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Best-Hip-Hop-Album-Cover-35.jpg
[/img]

i'm not trying to pick on you, but design really is a lost art if installing "simpletheme" counts as designing now.