07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Oliver is offline Oliver
Expertise: Investment, SEO, Marketing
Software: After Effects, Photoshop, Maya

Oliver is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Oliver

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
are you using osx? calling osx bloated is the joke of the decade.

specs are specs, you will never get the same bang for your buck that you can get with pc, because apple is a boutique/brand computer. it's like buying no-name cola vs cocacola. there are subtle differences, but only if you really care, or if you're a brand nazi, will paying the premium for the brand be worth it.

windows treats me like i'm stupid, it's dissected into 1400 different versions so i can never get the full feature set i want, it's bloated, and it gets worse with every release. windows has to accommodate the lowest common denominator of user, which makes using it as a semi-advanced user a pain in the ass because you have to do so much work to make it behave like a reasonable piece of software.

osx is pretty bare bones. as a boutique computer brand, they don't need to accommodate to the lowest level user. the majority of people who use it are intelligent people who have chosen it for specific reason. the rest are either rich people, or trend hoppers who just want it for brand association and don't do anything complicated so osx doesn't have to do anything for them.
While i agree with some of the points you've made, i'll have to disagree on some things.

I fear even justifying my point with facts is largely a moot cause, given that almost everyone here seems to be a strong proponent of Mac's, despite the fact the large majority of them lack any real knowledge on the subject of computer hardware and/or software (this wasn't aimed at you Derek).

I would not by any means call Mac's logical (and i was brought up using them at school), nor would i say they offer any benefit in functionality over a PC whatsoever.

Quite honestly, it would be hard to argue that a PC is less functional than a Mac in any respect. I'm not interested in seeing my windows glide about and bounce all over the place; it's just a waste of time and an even more egregious waste of resources and computational power.

I would agree that Mac's are fine for simpletons, but if you would like any real usability out of a computer, they're not for you. There is almost nothing a PC cannot do faster or better, for less money. To argue otherwise would just be patently incorrect.

For argumentations sake, Vista is not included in this debate due to the fact that it is a steaming pile of ****.

I expect this post will garner quite a few abusive replies from the more vociferous Mac supporters, but i'm going to politely disregard anyone who doesn't respond in a decorous manner (just so you know )