View Single Post
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Eddie is offline Eddie
Expertise: writing
Software: notepad

Eddie is on a distinguished road

Old  How to keep your Social Network buzzin'

Anyone who has run a social network will know that there are lulls of activity during various times of the year. If you do not do something at that point the lulls could easily become apathetic and your social network will go into decline.

Nobody likes decline not even your members. You may even find that those members who were so active, the ones you relied upon may even stop entering your site. So what do you do?

Do you roll over and hope that it will soon pick up, or, do you put your thinking cap on?

I hope you chose the latter and if you did, here are a few ideas to get the motivation running high again amongst your members.

1) Involve them, create jobs for them to do, like monitoring groups, forums, blogs. Being involved gives your members a sense of importance and loyalty.

2) Create events. This is a little harder but it can be done. One social group I was with held a party. It was a 24 hour party so that all members could attend. There was music, drinks flowing, laughter and plenty of chat.

The key to a successful party is to have 2-3 members constantly on the site or in the chat room, to meet and greet, pull into the conversations. Sometimes there were three or four conversations going on at the same time. I was great fun.

3) Set Challenges with a prize for the most inventive and ingenious solution.

4) Finally, ask questions and plenty of them. This will keep your members close and less inclined to apathy.

Hope this has helped. If anyone has any further ideas please add.