View Single Post
07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
rferrall is offline rferrall
Expertise:
Software:

rferrall is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Xavier_3D View Post
...I mean think about it, why won't I start with my own blog instead for writing for someone. And what will be the security that my content won't be used wrongly by the owner...
Writers may write for "free" for a couple of reasons:

1) To build links to their website
2) To get hands-on experience
3) To improve their brand recognition (name)

A writer who is unfamiliar with the ways of the internet may not even know about blogs and a writer who understands things online knows full-well that getting their name out there on a bunch of different websites can help improve the visibility of their brand.

As far as "security" - the security of the situation doesn't change when content is paid for with cash versus recognition. If you paid $500 for a 500 word article, how would you know the content wouldn't be misused or reused by the writer? This is a rhetorical question - you cant; the situations are the same as long as the rights to the content are laid out ahead of time.

I just wanted to clear the air on these things - there's no need to scare the guy. Sure, there are jerks out there - but there are perfectly legitimate reasons for a writer to write for recognition.