07-07-2007, 04:06 AM
cbeley is offline cbeley
Expertise:
Software:

cbeley is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to cbeley Send a message via MSN to cbeley

Old

Originally Posted by Blue Ire View Post
First off, until recently, Widgets (You still aren't spelling it correctly) were only recently introduced as more than aplugin to wordpress, therefore your argument that 'if you can't use widgets you should change CMS' is moot.

Beyond that, you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about. I can make this point no better than by showing a bit of the code from your main page...

Code:
 <div id="mainbox">
 <div id="topborder"></div>
 <div id="header">
 <div id="logo"></div>
 <div id="headerpic"></div>
 <div id="links">
Are you kidding me? The first six lines of your code contain 6 divs... ouch. And then after that you have a nav that isn't even a list, just a bunch of links in a div... speaking of accessibility.
Code:
<div id="links">
 <a href="index.html" title="Home" class="nav">Home</a>

<a href="complete_websites.html" title="Complete Websites" class="nav">Complete Websites</a>
 <a href="services.html" title="Services" class="nav">Services</a>
 <a href="quote.html" title="Request a Quote" class="nav">Request a Quote</a>
 <a href="portfolio.html" title="Portfolio" class="nav">Portfolio</a>
 <a href="faq.html" title="FAQ" class="nav">FAQ</a>
 <a href="hayward.html" title="Hayward Residents Info." class="nav" id="navright" >Hayward Residents Info.</a>

</div>
I somehow guessed you were going to bring that up. I did that a while ago and I have been meaning to change it. I can show you my more recent works if you don't believe me. For example, my menu is a list over at **Removed** see note. (I'm only showing this particular link because I have not, and will not be paid for it..it's a long story and i'm not going into it here. It's not one of my favorite works though. Also, it's not completely finished. It will be removed off my server soon by the way). Also, I don't totally understand your point about my divs at the beginning of my page frankly. I include my mainbox div for my overall wrapper to center the whole page, and I include divs separating header, main content, and footer for readability and additional styling if ever need be. (the version my server is sending you seems to be cutting out some of my indentations :S ).

I will admit, there was a time where I opted to writer less code over more semantic code, which is where the way that I did my site came from. I've gotten away from that though.

Regardless, criticizing my work isn't answering the question and isen't excactly relevant to this conversation (it's like you want to start some sort of war) My argument is not, "if you can't use wigets, then you should change your CMS" word for word, but wigets are a pretty usefull tool that there really isn't an excuse not to use them if you can, and there arn't many times when you can't use them. Please give an example of when you wouldn't want to, or couldn't, use wigets at all. I would personally like to know. Also, lets not turn this into some sort of flame war please :S I just want to have an intelligent discussion.

EDIT: NOTE: I decided to remove it. It isn't done and I don't feel like having you criticize something that isn't finished :S Because I could critisize myself just as easily. I can pm you some private links if you really don't believe me.

EDIT2:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Code:
<table>
 <tr>
   <td>Oh snap I can't put a 'validation web 2.0' 
button on my site anymore!</td>
   <td>Guess that means no more Widgets too :( </td>
 </tr>
</table>
Hah, take that!
If that is from one of Blue Ire's works, I think I am going to start all out laughing that he is criticizing me :S "Tables are for Tabular Data" From what I can see, that doesn't look like tabular data.

EDIT3: I don't think it is....I seriously doubt he would, from what i've seen. Sorry for all the edits.

EDIT4: One last edit...I promise. For example, over at the site you are selling - http://csssocial.com/. If you were to turn that into a wordpress theme, you could have two different sidebars, each with different styling to accommodate the different kinds of content/layout. Then the user could add more ads/images and or more content to those bars easily. (by the way, I really like that design).