03-15-2006, 02:06 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by buddybuddha
Tell me if Im wrong here...

I was drafted by my school to design and code a website for a huge conference in 2006 (November). Theres gunna be about 1200 delegates, 200 advisors, and others. The idea was that the website would handle registrations and housing for the students. Of course, leave it to the big bad PASC board to tell us we are incapable, and outsourcing what we could easily do ourselves.

But here's the kicker. Theyre paying this company, Trifecta $125,000 to do this. I know it's a slightly complicated task, but that is absolutely ridiculous. I dont understand how dumb this board is, and I was personally insulted by them outsourcing it in the first place.

So my plan is that we will go ahead and code the whole thing as planned, and during our presentation to the board on March 18, focus on the fact that we had extra time so we went ahead and threw this together, just to maybe rub into their faces that they wasted $125k.

As a side note--
Their website main page has 23 validation errors, and a broken link... Is this the kind of company that you pay $125,000 to develop a web app?
you know, it's pretty simple... 13 years of commercial experience, plus a personal relationship against what? a couple years in school or dabbling around in your free time? would you let someone who read about performing sugery off the net for a couple years, maybe practicing on some stuffed dummies take the knife to you? i wouldn't.