View Single Post
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
mrje1 is offline mrje1
Software:

mrje1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Lowengard View Post
Depends on the job and the client. I think the longest one I've written was 15 or 20 pages. (that one was full of "if. . .then"s and opportunities for the client to choose. We needed to maintain the fiction that the client was making all the decisions, there. ;^)) Most are about 8 including terms and conditions.

I used to use something that looked like an RFW or job order: 1 page, spaces for all the essentials on the front, all terms and conditions in about 8 point squeezed onto the back (with place for client's initials): I'd attach that as a cover page to the proposal. I decided a while ago it made me look sleazy (I'm provide contract research and editorial services plus business advisement for independents) so I stopped. The branding thing. But if you're a designer, it might work differently. Making it look like this is standard business and you're not suspicious of, or out to persecute your client can go a long way toward calming fears about All this legalese.

At some point, it's a good idea to take the draft you've conjured and discuss it with someone who is an expert in contract law where you live. There may be quirks of language and the commercial code that you need to work around. For example, in some states (I believe) if you describe your initiation payment, or the down payment on the work on signing the contract as a "deposit," the client can ask for it back if you don't complete the contract for some reason. With interest.
Thank you again for your input. So far mine that I made is 19 pages. I have a cover, then introduction letter, table of contents, copyright statement, project overview, scope of work, my design phases, fees and payment overview, milestones, deliverables and fee schedule, about me page, and then the terms and conditions.

What do you think of the order and titles of each page? Is this a correct order?

I have a question about refunds. What do you recommend or your approach to handling refunds when that comes about?

I would like to see a expert in contract law, but isn't it expensive to see one? How much on average does a lawyer cost?

When it comes to payments, I did not put the lingo as a deposit. I am a Web Designer and so far I set it up in three installment payment plan that are paid after each phase. At this point I would never offer as a deposit.

Thank you again for your awesome input. Looking forward to your answers.