Thread: Charity Work
View Single Post
05-20-2005, 08:55 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

i was going to reply ealier, since in ym first semester we tackled this very subject as an assignment.

the context was someone @ the school was looking for media developers to subimt their srvices to NPO's, so we as developers/students had to pick an NPO, research them and write up a proposal to this school director stating what we woudl do and why, in the hopes of getting a $1000 grant to get things started as it was passed onto to the NPO.

i was gonna get the file out, but it turns out, my machine never got it's package of office registered and i don't have the product key, so now i have to dig out my old office cd package.

none the less, my file pretty much went like this:
  • cover letter to recipient - in my case it was a program director looking for submissions. in yours, write it to the CEO/marketing director stating that you want to help the organization in $yourfieldofwork and why you want to help them (just don't say i want free publicity) try to follow something like this:
    • what you're writing to them about - if they've placed an ad saying "we need $this" say it's regarding the ad. if not, just say you're writing because you'd like to pitch an idea to them
    • why you're doing it - a breif explination why you're writing to them and not someone else - what made you choose them EX: i'm an experienced website designer... your website
    • brief synopsis of your idea - new website
    • list of following items IE resume, project proposal etc + name/thankyous
  • resume - for work experience, don't just list 'realjobs' that you've had. if you ran a counterstrike commnity, use it as an example of your knowledge/experience of being a webmaster - imply you know what the process is like and thus you can make it as easy as possible as opposed to soemone who jus chews out 1 page designs
  • proposal - now go into detail. this is where you make your pitch. $this is what you want to do, $this is why you want to do it/for them, $this is how they'll benefit over not taking your services etc.
  • if you've got the time, single line mockups. by mockup i don't mean atal design, but just make some square outlines and write like "banner + login" in a rectangle @ the top of an image, or "news feed" in a square down the side.

basically, if it's a simple enough project throw some cheap "blueprints" or storyboards, together so they can have more of a visual idea of where you're going. words can mean different things to different people, so it's always nice.