View Single Post
03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

This is just a thought for those who are saying the word Fresco is the same as using any other word...

Firstly, Job isn't "brandable". Fresco is. Fresco is the adjective. I'll give anyone here a dollar if they can truthfully tell me they were going to use Fresco with out ever hearing of the SoFresco network before hand. I'll give you another dollar if you even heard of the word fresco in your life (unless you are spanish or italian), and wanted to apply it to the internet. Fresco was unique. There wasn't anything else using it like I was.

It's different if you use the word "job" because the root word used to make the site isn't brandable. The word fresco is what gives the root word meaning. It is the adjective, the descriptive nature that makes it even remotely brandable.

Inspiration, and over-inspiration, is unfortunately apart of this industry. I've accepted that. But come on - you can't hide the fact where you got the name Fresco from.

So my arguement here is - you can use whatever word, but it's the description that makes it important, and the word Fresco is what everyone is getting mad about. Heck, I have 8 different Fresco domains - and the only brandable thing about them is Fresco (blogfresco - the word blog isn't the brandable part). Fresco is what grants my network any sort of originality and creativity.

Everyone here is completely missing the point. It isn't about whether or not he can use the word Fresco - because, coming from me, I don't really care if he uses it or not. Especially since everyone knows where the original idea came from.

The point that everyone is trying to make here is that in this industry, any ounce of creativity and uniqueness will set you apart from your competitor. It isn't fair that someone comes along and takes what you've made to set yourself apart, only to use it for themselves.

But hey - that's a part of life, and I guess we all have to live with it.