06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by nomatch View Post
Peter, I think it is quite unfair to make a post like this. You're a popular member of the forum, but why - oh why - are people so pessimistic!
I have been optimistic about this place for many years, through times far worse than they are currently. I have had the privilege of seeing things from a community point of view and from behind the curtain, through the good and the bad. If you feel my post was pessimistic, that's entirely for you to read into it how you will; it is my opinion and unfortunately yes I don't believe in the process becoming any better. I would be delighted to be proved wrong!

All this post will achieve is a couple of sobs and can only be detrimental to members' attitudes. Artashes has obviously invested quite heavily into this web property - and for you to burn that - and abuse your position of power - is wrong. By all means you're entitled to your own opinions - but seriously - is it your place to put Artashes down like this in front of the rest of the community?
So he has invested lots of time, and some money, into the property; that is great. What is to show of it?.. I am still, I believe, absolutely entitled to say that I feel far, far more work needs to be done (that's not a problem) and to believe it won't get done (that is a problem). Abusing my power, oh please. Is it my place to put Artashes down in public, absolutely! This community deserves all the best, and it isn't being given that. The same comes from my own position on staff, since coming back I was a part-time moderator; Artashes made no effort to involve me in the big plans, the few there are, nor to manage the staff team to do anything more than keep clicking the moderation buttons (and even struggled to do that time and time again). Without being given the opportunities that the staff (maybe not the current staff members) need to be given to really push this place forward, nothing gets done. This is, ultimately, entirely Artashes' responsibility as the owner of the property.

What this place needs is a change in attitude of its members
I absolutely, wholeheartedly, 100% disagree. The fact that the majority of active members have been here for years, and still come here to post (or if they don't post much, still come around to see what's going on!) is testament to the eternal faith and strength in the (former) community. If anything, I would say that the overwhelming attitude of the members, at least the ones that take any time to voices themselves, is one of support. Change of attitude? No thanks!

and a better targeting and understanding of what the MAJORITY of visitors want. The new skin Chris has done may or may not achieve that, something needs to change. Sure. But give the guy a chance to implement his vision without obstacle after obstacle - you're just making it harder for him!
Artashes has had an enormous length of time and support since he got on board. You may see obstacle after obstacle, I see opportunity after opportunity -- being wasted. Whether the community sees it (hopefully they do) or not, things need to change (and I'm not talking about a new forum skin). Maybe, the gentle kick in the butt from a long-term, extremely supportive, member of the community can prove a reality check. If it spurs changes, so much the better.

Best of luck Artashes and Bye bye Peter.
I'll still be around from time to time so more like, "see you later."