View Single Post
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Jake B is offline Jake B
Expertise: Coder
Software: Sublime Text, Google Chrome

Jake B is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jake B

Old

I'll repeat what everyone else is saying: Learn HTML and CSS at the same time. Learn to be semantic and try to take the time to not cut corners. I'd also learn about accessibility and meta information like how a webserver works and all of that good stuff. Try to understand more than just HTML and CSS.

Also, learn JavaScript early. Don't rely just on jQuery, and try not to use plugins. Different browsers support different JavaScript functions, and jQuery just creates a bunch of functions that make sure that when you do something it's supported across the board. This is nice, but more functions means more processing, which means a slower experience.

If you have the time, challenge yourself, it'll make you a much more competent developer, which will give you the ability to take on much more advanced jobs (which pay more, IMHO). Making my own slideshows, validators and other helpful "plugins" really helped myself understand JavaScript as I had learned jQuery first. Don't make the same mistake that I did.