View Single Post
01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Just an idle wonder here.

If you sell your designs I imagine you might become, um, very irritated to find that someone used one without permission, let alone without compensating you. And that it might not matter to you that this person who "borrowed" did his or her work for free or at a reduced rate. Especially if the client expected to make money from the result.

Why do you think you shouldn't have to pay for an image if their sale represents an income stream for the person who created it? Treat people the way you want to be treated yourself. Yes, Getty, Corbis, Bridgeman, Art Resource, Magnum and other rights management or stock photo agencies may charge what seems to be a king's ransom for just one image, but many photographers or illustrators submit thousands that never earn a penny. It's a very different income model from that of web designers or developers.

Is there a reason you can't say to your friends/clients "I'll give you a break on my work but you have to pay for the images?"

Have you considered teaming with a photographer or illustrator (or several--maybe through a local art school or even TalkFreelance) for useable images to which you have rights? I've done that.

I've also left image-sourcing to clients, which can work if you have a strong contract that specifies you had nothing to do with their choice and know nothing about their source or compensation paid or withheld.

And I've used images I've made myself, which either charm clients or convince them of the need to pay for professional work. ;^)

(of course, I'm not a web designer/developer, I do content things only.)