03-17-2006, 02:37 AM
jhmattern is offline jhmattern
Expertise:
Software:

jhmattern is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by talkvb
You are completely wrong. Nice try tho.

Little thing you agree to before you register, is a really nifty thing.
I hate to break it to you kid, but I've studied media law, and my profession requires that I keep up on it. Libel and slander are huge parts of that. If you'd read some of my later posts in this thread, you'd understand exactly what comments are problematic and can be sued for under US slander and libel laws. Another thing is that quite frankly, most TOS agreements can't 100% hold up in court. You can't force people in a TOS (or even a business contract) to give up basic rights in the US. You can try. And most people don't know any better than to think you can, which is why most don't press in court. But in reality, if you were sued, and used a TOS as your only arguement in defense of libelous and defamatory comments, you'd lose. Depending on where the 'victim' and new owner of TF are living, TF could lose in general too. It's similar in a legal sense to negligence cases. When you go into the hospital for an operation, you have to sign off saying you won't hold the hospital or doctors responsible if something goes wrong. It really doesn't matter much in the end. If someone is negligent (which is what libel and slander are, because it's impossible for them to be general accidents when you say something in an accusing manner), they can be sued (and often lose) no matter what any contract says. I'm not saying this for my own sake. I'm saying it, because if you don't bother paying attention to the law (especially in an international arena such as this) members, as well as TF, run the risk of being in much more trouble legally than it's worth. The smart thing wouldn't be to start threads like this in the first place.

Jenn