08-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi again Alexandria,
Originally Posted by alexandria2000
The prices differ but there is an average, I do not want to loose this client even if I will give him a lower price than the average.
Do you know the average price he has been quoted? Do you know the budget estimate for this project? If you know either of these then base your pricing around them. If you don't know these then do a rough estimate of how long your best guess is to complete this project, and then times that best guess by your hourly rate. If you think your best guess is too low or too high then you are beginning to know your true value.

Example: Best guess of 114 hours to complete the project. Hourly rate of $45/hour. Therefore quote is approximately $5130. If this value is way too low or high (and you will always have a gut feeling it is) then adjust accordingly.

One big thing to consider is that you should not undersell yourself TOO much just to get this project. I understand underselling, but it's got to be reasonable.

Something else to consider (I don't want you to try this unless you currently have plenty of paid work and this is a corporate type client), is to price yourself at the extreme high end of the scale. This can have an unusual effect on clients, they seem to believe they are getting much more from you than they would from anyone else that has quoted (I am talking quotes 3-4 times higher than other competitors). They think that you are, without doubt, THE BEST THERE IS!. This is a good way to boost your income significantly, when you already have plenty of work. Plus if the client doesn't like it, it doesn't matter to you, you already have work.