View Single Post
02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Hey everyone, i'm taking the plunge into learning how to code websites! What do you recommend as a beginners resource? I want to cover the basics first (coding up psds etc) but i want to learn the most upto date standards, tableless/xhtml etc. Should i go straight into this or start with html first?

Advice and decent links required Thanks in advance.
i'm going to clear this up nor before people start thinking they're actually different... like when people thougth php was going to be the new html (idiots!)
  • CSS... is just english. the only syntax in CSS is this: { }. that's about it.
  • tableless is just a term. it doesn't mean anything new.. other then you don't use the html tag <table> or anything asociated with it. it's still html
  • you can code a tableless layout in html4. xhtml isn't required for it to work.
  • xhtml just makes it harder to suck at coding.
    • stupid tags don't work anymore. (i'm looking at you blinking text)
    • it suggests all styling mark up (text alignment, colours etc) to be in the hands of the css file since most of the tags were removed (<font><center> ect)
  • the differences between html html and xhtrml .. well.. a child could figure it out. it's nothing complicated. it's pretty much taking common sense and making it manditory (work from inside out -> <strong><em>blarg</em></strong>)

there's som facts to keep in mind. coding websites isn't the most challenging thing... but since nobody likes to actually learn something before saying they can do it, BAM after a few rounds ot telephone, xhtml and html are complicatedly different and CSS can code a layout by itself. (people should really have figured out that telephone doesn't wokr after kintergarden.)

in fact, instead of writing it out here, i'm going to write an article on it to waste some more time as i have nothing to do this cold monday night... yet. go to the article section it'll be there soon.