View Single Post
04-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by andrewsuzuki View Post
Can someone compile me a template for a message I could send to the many websites in my area that have websites maximized for Netscape Navigator version 1? I want to inform them that their website is lacking, but I don't want to be offensive.
I am unaware of a template for such emails, I'd search Google for one. If you don't come up with one your best bet is to make it yourself then run it past someone older who doesn't understand tech terms and see what they think. However if they are local I would advise that you go in person and make your pitch. What you would say would be pretty much the same either way, explain that their site isn't up to today's standards and that a redesign would bring in more business (always focus on why you will make them money).

Originally Posted by andrewsuzuki View Post
Also, how should I bill my clients? I was thinking of sending them paypal requests for money through my father's account, but do I need anything more than this? Invoices? Client area on my website? How do I make an invoice or similar documents if I need them?
I use quickbooks so generate invoices, before I used that I made invoices with excel using a free template I found online. I also used a PDF printer (bullzip) to turn them into PDF files before sending them.

One more tip that I forgot to put in my last post. Always charge an upfront fee, generally of 50% but no lower than 25%. This basically makes sure that they will stick with it, otherwise you will get half way in and they may decide they don't want your services anymore. This happens a lot to anyone who doesn't charge upfront fees. I've heard countless freelancers tell me that they've gotten to the end of a project just to be told "we decided to move in a different direction so lets call this deal off (after 20 hours of work)" or "we don't really like this design so we're not paying for it."

ps. about the lying about age thing, I only ever did that for online jobs. I never really did any local work back then. If I were to to local I wouldn't do that since paperwork would have to be done that would make matters a lot worse.