03-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

Originally Posted by seen.to
The comment that your cracks have not been working lately is not a good one. If you are using software to make money you should understand that someone created that software for the same purpose - to make some money - and you should pay for it.
I use Dreamweaver purely as a piece of fun; so that I may learn about it in order to have a better base in which to moan at its woeful inadequacies. I don't even use Visual Studio to make money; nor Frontpage, though I use them for making sites and I have paid for both. I do not make sites on Dreamweaver and therefore do not feel the need to pay them for the privallage. If I had to, I would not even bother learning about it.

Frontpage extensions actually sound useful the way you've described them though. My programmer and I always know to download the latest version of a file before updating it but without asking each other there's no knowing if we both downloaded it at the same time and worked on it at the same time with one of us then overwriting the others - would be bad - but we ask.
Instant Messengers are extremely useful in that respect. I have heard some brilliant stuff about Visual Studio Team Foundation; an application that is installed on a Server that comes with Visual Studio Team Edition which acts as a check in and out for work. Its of course meant for medium plus companies; a dozen or more developers and such like but the theory is still there. It acts as a depository for the development and only changes files authorised to be changed and specifically keeps logs of everything checking in and out to make sure nothing gets updated or deleted without somebody being asked if they want to do that first. Of course in some situations you want to revert to a backup. It also runs tests on the software and can not allow a piece of software to be checked in if it does not pass a certain level of testing. Its of course more for Application Development but there are probably situations on sites where the code; if in ASP.NET and C# or VB or C++ at least gets so complicated it can be reconed with an application and it becomes useful. Some very good things in Visual Studio 2005

A dececnt site designed in Dreamweaver? I'll have to say my own, www.yournewdesigner.com, designed in Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Same applies to most of the stuff in my portfolio, though www.yournewdesigner.com was the last time I used split/design view as now I code everything css/xhtml in code view, such as www.contemplate.us and my upcoming release ******.com, only checking the layout in the target browsers. (domain name censored by me because I'm contractually obliged to keep it's identity secret until it's released to the public).
Hmmm... well you're obviously a whole lot better than anybody I know who would want to use Dreamweaver. You should see some that come out of College! You can seriously see the difference in those using Dreamweaver and those who get to use Frontpage.