View Single Post
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Liam is offline Liam
Expertise:
Software:

Liam is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Liam

Old

I develop for it, using some reset css, the [url="http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/"]IE8 JS (forces IE6+7 to be a bit more standards compliant eg li:hover will work in ie6 and other pseudo-classes like :first-child etc, use it, and be happy with using pretty much any pseudo-class you like) and IEPNGFIX. Using those together makes coding for IE so much easier.

Also, if you don't mind your CSS not being 100% standard then you can use

*margin: for IE7 and _margin: for ie6 (replacing margin for whatever selector you want ofcourse)

I know you can use conditional comments but I find this way to actually be more semantic.

I also use the savethedevelopers JS to let IE6 users know they should upgrade their browser.

I'm not afraid of compromise either, there are some things IE6 cant handle at all, background-position on alpha png's namely.
When this happens, I usually just go for a gif and loose a bit of the design (a shadow or something).
This is normally a rare thing, as you need to meet certain requirements before comprimsing.

The one time I've had to comprimise was because the png background I was using was on top of a gradient background which was positioned at the bottom and had varying height, meaning if I used gif shadows the colors would mis-match as you navigate the site.

@kimsonsolutions & rochow: A pirated OS does not stop windows update, microsoft like to think it does but there is 101 ways to get around the Genuine Advantage stuff, also many places to download Internet Explorer, not just from microsoft.com.

@rochow: Owning a website doesn't mean owning a business. I've owned sites that didn't make me any money, and I didn't want them too.

Also, what if your target audience is for linux users or something tech savvy, I can guarantee, the only reason a tech savvy person would run IE6 is for testing purposes.

25% sounds like a lot of people, but it only really is if the entire user base of the entire internet want to see your site.

At the end of the day though, what I'd really like to do, is to just say no to IE6 users, tell them to effing upgrade or get a completely different browser then come back to the site.