View Single Post
10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by ChrisGwynne View Post
Thanks Jeff. But it's ok, Zee seems quite oblivious and naive to a lot of genuine facts and questions so I'll leave him to his bubble. Good luck with the sale.
My point is that active users is not what any seller of newletter sponsorship (that I know of) would base the price of sponsorship on. It is purely done on the number of people the email goes out to (provided its a valid email). I work with many big names doing such stuff - eg GQ, FHM and many other top publishers and it simply does not come into the equation. I also gets loads of newsletters that I read from sites I signed upto years ago but hardly ever visit, yet I still read the newsletters and may click back to the site if something interests me.

While yes there are a lot of banned members - 2,000, and a few dead email addresses, which you would want to discount. That still leaves an awful lot of receptive emails (even if they are not active members) so even if you halved the number to 16,000 but upped the sponship to 2c (significantly below any rate I know of), then it still equates to the same potential revenue. In addition to this the site recieves approx 500 new members a month in it current state - so even without the extra input a new owner could bring to boost that figure, its still pretty impressive growth.

Again though DYOR. If you came back with details of major publisher that bases their email sponsorship prices on "active website users", and not the number of emails its distruibted to, then you would sound a lot more credible, and less like you are just trying to start an arguement when you have done no research at all. I doubt though that you will be able to find a single example, and here are 10 off my head that I know do not: GQ, FHM, Arena, Marrie Claire, Nuts, Firebox, Loaded, Stuff Magazine, Look, T3.