View Single Post
11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old

lol thanks the exam didn't go too badly which was a big shock to me considering I've done no study and almost no work in IT all semester

How can you just accept something that you do not believe is right?
I never said I don't believe it's right. It confuses me the way they have implemented it, but then a lot of things in this world don't make sense to me. Such as the fact that the IE dev team recognises W3C standards and has even made press releases to the effect that are endeavouring to bring IE into line with said standards, yet their biggest standards-compliance issue (the box model) is still there in the most recent version of their browser.

How are proper standards made if not by using what is right and replacing what is wrong?
That's exactly what all the standards-compliant browsers are doing. Pushing out the outdated box-model that IE and IE-based browsers use to bring in a more universally accepted way of doing things.

when you could accept the correct model in a standard that is used in hundreds of millions of browsers?
At this point in time I'd like to point out two things.
a) standards compliant browsers such as firefox, camino, opera etc are rapidly gaining market share. Rapidly. As is Mac OSX which means its browser Safari which happens to also comply with standards is also gaining market share. Hundreds of millions of web users may use IE and IE-based browsers now but people are smarting up.
b) along the same lines, every single person I know (except for you evidently) who uses IE or AOL Explorer (which I'm pretty sure is the result of a partership with Microsoft) only use it because it's what comes bundled with their OS or internet package. You are the only person I have ever met who actually chooses to use IE. This is because people by and large are stupid and mostly just go with what's quickest, even if it means sacrificing security and other basic features like tabs (yes I know IE7 has tabbed browsing but at the moment its on less computers than Firefox). Please note that I'm not calling *you* stupid, you choose to use IE and I respect that.

Of all the computers in the world ready to use the Internet, 90% of computers have Internet Explorer.
refer to my above point.

and have even agreed its box model is wrong
ahem. Again, I never said that.

Obviously the standards set of the body that is responsible for maintaining standards on the web are an impotent set of words that nobody reads, made by crusty old men that nobody cares about, who have never designed a website in their lives
Although I can see where you might get that impression (the W3C site is a visual atrocity), that is a massive assumption with largely no basis. The only reason standards aren't largely accepted is because a couple of years back, around when the whole standards thing started to come into focus, Microsoft pretty much decided to forget about their current software and shift all their attention to Vista. So basically apart from the SP2 update where they finally added a popup blocker (that doesn't work most of the time) nothing has been done to IE apart from the constant stream of security fixes. I can only hope the final release of IE 7 will comply with standards a lot more because they've been spending so much time on it while neglecting what everyone is using *now*.

Indeed, the guy working on the Windows Live! Aggregator
the guy working on the what?

wrote the book on DHTML.
yes, what a great success DHTML was. And it's not exactly surprising that a Microsoft guy 'wrote the book' on it, as far as I'm aware the only browser to fully support it is IE.

The W3C were created and put in place before the Internet was anything like it is today
and by bringing in XHTML CSS standards they are bringing the internet into the 21st century, the only problem is the biggest browser in the world seems intent on stopping their efforts.

And like other gammy parts of the Internet, surely they should be cut off.
If they're so gammy, why is it that they are still universally recognised as the web's standards body by everyone *including* Microsoft?