11-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

Originally Posted by jono1
ok first let me say that I understand what you mean. to me padding should like the padding on a padded cell - keeps the contents of the box away from the edges without adding to the actual width of the container. Unfortunately the way that it makes sense for it to work *isnt* the way it works. I don't know why, but I follow the standards.
How can you just accept something that you do not believe is right? How are proper standards made if not by using what is right and replacing what is wrong? And even then, why force yourself to accept a model that is wrong in a standard that is barely used, when you could accept the correct model in a standard that is used in hundreds of millions of browsers?

MSN Explorer is made by Micro$oft. It's a slightly prettified version of IE with MSN integration features added. It doesn't count. Partly because of that, partly because nobody uses it.
Yeah ok maybe MSN Explorer is the wrong one to specify. Of course though, a lot of people do use it. Perhaps a better example of a browser that uses Internet Explorer's Engine is AOL Explorer, which everybody using AOL uses. I do not know how many Internet Explorer powered Browsers there are, but there are a lot more people using them than say Netscape, or probably Opera.

I'm still trying to figure out if that was good sentence structure or not
Haha. Yeah... I don't know, just the way it came out at the time It is how you would say it in normal conversation at least.

The fact that every other browser follows the standards set by the body that is responsible for maintaining standards on the web makes every other browser right. Simple
Not every other browser does, you yourself have said even Firefox doesn't follow that standard by the word, and have even agreed its box model is wrong. Even vaguely, more than 80% (including MSN, AOL and so on) of all people using the Internet use the right standard. Of all the computers in the world ready to use the Internet, 90% of computers have Internet Explorer. Obviously the standards set of the body that is responsible for maintaining standards on the web are an impotent set of words that nobody reads, made by crusty old men that nobody cares about, who have never designed a website in their lives. The guys on the Intenet Explorer team will have designed websites, they will have helped design your 'standards'. Indeed, the guy working on the Windows Live! Aggregator wrote the book on DHTML. These are people who know the Internet. The W3C were created and put in place before the Internet was anything like it is today. And like other gammy parts of the Internet, surely they should be cut off.

Good luck with the ICT Exam!