View Single Post
11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Jeremy B

I am responding to your post as an adviser to small business owners with 30+ years experience.

It took me a little while to figure out what you're asking the community* but I understand the fundamental question to be:
Is it possible to run my business with the parameters described and not have a contract?
Assuming this is true, you need to think about the following:
  • At-will professional relationships work best when both parties have an excellent and clear understanding of their obligations. They also work best when no customization of services is involved or the relationship is extremely casual--think your cable company or the kid who mows your lawn, not your accountant or administrative assistant.
  • You will in fact have an implied contract, because anything that involves the exchange of money for goods or services carries one. This means you need to be very clear about what you do and what you don't provide.
  • Will this system make it easier to get rid of deadwood but set you up for regular, time-consuming lawsuits if your clients are dissatisfied? (Only you know your clients and the way you work.)

*The bulk of your post suggests you have other questions based on the changes you are making to your business model. I'm not going to discuss those here, because one thing we know about all things internet is nobody ever wants to read more than 500 words.